Is Praying to Mary or saints idolatry? Or Biblical?

Is Praying to Mary or the Saints idolatry? Is having a cross on your wall idolatry? is praying rosary beads biblical?

Elda90042

Asked by Elda90042 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "When you pray to anything other than Jesus , Father God and Holy Spirit you have placed that Idol above them. "

Ah, but what about asking someone to pray FOR you? That is really what it is we are doing. We are asking for their intercession. Sooo... when you ask friends and strangers alike to pray for you, is that idolatry?

For example, the Hail Mary. Part of the prayer is "... pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death." We ask her to pray for us, nothing more, nothing less. Please don't pretend to be an expert on something you know nothing about.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Praying to Mary and the Saints is not idolatry....Catholics believe in the doctrine of communion of the saints.....we believe that saints can pray for us and with us.....The rosary is a meditation on scenes from the life of Christ and is biblical in that they mysteries we meditate on while saying the prayers come from the Bible with the exception of one or two that come from our oral tradtion.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• no. the catholic church was the first christian church. the only church started by jesus, his apostle peter was the first pope. anyway it is not idolatrous to pray to the saints or to the blessed mother for help or guidance
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Technically it's not praying to, it's more like asking them to pray with us or for us. So, not it's not idolatry. It's no different than asking a friend or relative, or even complete strangers on the internet to pray with you or for you.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Communion of saints is basically a spiritual union of all in the Christian Church, both living and dead (Heaven, Earth, and Purgatory). It's a sort of spiritual solidarity.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I personally believe in my personal religious choice that it is idolatry. But some religious beliefs are different. I just go by the biblical things I was taught that I shalt not worship any other graven image and shal not put any other God before him. Just things I remember being taught growing up.
    LisaAnn069

Answer by LisaAnn069 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think anime_mom619 covered the Saints and Mary very well so I am just going to elaborate a little on the use of beads to pray and specifically the rosary.
    Lots of faiths use beads or knotted robe to help focus the mind during prayer and to keep track of the number of prayers. The traditional rosary has five sets of ten beads. For each set you meditate on a different mystery of the Gospels. Examples of the mysteries would be the Wedding at Cana, the Passion of Christ or the Nativity. You also have an Our Father between each set. There are also variations for the Rosary that have prayers for the unborn or the Jesus Prayer.
    Even if you are not Catholic you can use a rosary to help you say your prayers.
    Also to clarify above. Catholics do not believe that you have to speak to God through a priest. Yes priests are special messengers anointed by God, they help us to have a closer personal relationship with our Lord
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• This question has got me thinking. I have a few Jesus figurines and I wear a cross around my neck. Is that idolatry? I don't know how it could be if I am not worshipping or praying to these things. (?) I don't know much at all about the Catholic faith, but I have two rosarys. They came from Ireland and I got them because I thought they were beautiful--nothing more. I don't understand why Catholics ask Mary or the saints to pray for them because they are dead. There was nothing divine about them. Please don't take that the wrong way. Like I said, I don't know much about it, I have not studied it, and I'm honestly curious that's all.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Popzaroo,
    Yes the Saints are physically "dead" but their spirits are alive with Christ in Heaven! God and His glorious kingdom are timeless. When you die do you think that you just sit around in your grave until Christ comes again? Christ conquered death with His resurrection and all who believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. Which means that just like we can pray and have a "conversation" with Jesus we can also converse with our brothers and sisters who have gone before us. In our Liturgy (the Sunday service) we acknowledge that we are praying and glorifying God along side all His angel and saints in Heaven, singing His praise eternally.
    Hope that helps clarify.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• There's an old joke. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images...unless you're catholic. I can only say that I have petitioned St. Michael, the archangel and St. Gabriel, the archangel and gotten answers. The virgin Mary didn't answer the one time I prayed to her. Jesus never answered. Yahweh never answered. I suppose, if you make statues--or images--of them, you could direct your prayers through the image TO them. I do the same thing with candles and incantations. My St. Michael candle has an image of him on it, but it isn't actually him. It only represents him. A cross is the same thing--a representation of something that christians believe happened and it is the MEANING of it, rather than the object itself, that is important. A statue of the virgin is not a replacement for Mary, it only represents her. They are idols only if you make them that.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2011