Dumb OB!! (Slight vent)

Ugh, so I am 38 weeks pregnant and went in today for my normal checkup. I was in last Friday with some crampy, weird pains and he did a cervix exam and said that my baby had dropped and was probably making me feel that way. So, after having some contractions and feeling like crap, I went to my appointment today, excited to see if I was dilated at all since I wasn't yet on Friday. And he tells me after I ask if we were going to do a cervix exam that he wasn't going to do one on me for this appointment because it might "speed things along".

I would be totally okay with speeding things along!! Lol Has anyone else heard this or have their OB do the same to them?

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 9:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• At 38 weeks, you could actually have a baby that is 4 weeks 'underdone' and while I appreciate the desire to no longer be pregnant, that's a poor reason to deliver a premie, with all the risks involved for the baby.

It's amazing to hear that there is an ob in the world who seems to know that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont get the pp answer. At 38 weeks she is full term. The baby would not be a preemie.

Checking the cervix often can lead to infections OP...as far as speeding things along..I dont understand that. I had all 3 of my babies before 38 weeks.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with the first Mommy. The little one might need to be in there for another 4 weeks. I had a little one that was born at 41 1/2 weeks and she was born completely healthy, had she been born at 38 weeks that probably wouldn't have been the case. No need to rush things. Hang in there!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• How is 38 weeks "4 weeks underdone"? Just sayin...
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• 37 weeks is full term technicaly so your ob should have check you its safe to go past this time but he should have at least checked
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I completely understand. Its irriating because all you wanna do is hold your baby. I hope you meet your LO soon!!!

BTW, at 38 weeks what you and your doctor decides what is best for you & baby. Don't let "others" tell you what is right and wrong unless they have a degree, disregard them please.

We are all here to share experiences and give mom to mom advice.

By 35 weeks I was SO done being pregnant but I knew they did need to bake a bit longer....she/he will be here soon. Go get a pedi or mani, read a book, take a bath, make sure baby's room is in order, get SOME sleep!! Baby will be here before long!!!

GL mama.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My DD was born at 39 weeks 1 day and she wasn't 3 weeks underdone :) She was 8 pounds 3 ounces 20 and a half inches long.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• How do you down vote previous statement? LOL!
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well if he did a cervix exam and it is soft, there is the chance he could accidentally strip the membranes. It happens. You're almost done. Another couple of weeks or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sounds wise, really-- there is no reason to check it's only for entertainment purposes anyhow. But in the even that it might negatively affect your body, it's good to avoid these risks.

Your baby may still need several more weeks worth of growing, this way it's better safe than sorry.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011