2 1/2 year old son not speaking in sentences...

I've read that a 2 1/2 year old should speak in sentences. My son will say, I done eating, I sit with mama, Tom is on the chair, ready for bed, and a few other sentences but that's about it. He knows A LOT of words and can point out what things are. He can count to 39. He knows his ABC's, colors, and shapes. He can tell us what letter most words start with and how the letters are pronounced, A, Ah, Ah, Ah and so on. So I know he knows a lot, he just isn't putting the words together. Should I be concerned or just give it more time?
Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's speaking in sentences....he's stringing words together, that's a sentence. He just hasn't mastered proper sentences yet. He sounds like he's doing just fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My daughter is the same way. I dont think it's a concern yet. They are just learning how to make sentences. I think this age is when they should doing that. Not already be able to do it. Some learn faster than others. As long as he keeps it up, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 10:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He sounds like he's doing great. My twin sons were speech delayed and spoke only about 30 words at that age and none were strung together. If you're concerned, you can always talk with someone at Early Intervention in your area.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He sounds like he is developing fine. Every child develops at a different age. At 2.5 years old, those are sentences to him. A 2.5 year old child does not know correct grammar.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well, my DD is almost 4 and she still doesn't speak in sentences. She's getting better articulating though, since she started Headstart. Not sure why she got such a late start at the sentence thing, but I guess some kids achieve different stages at different ages.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He is fine. Normally a speech assessment wouldn't be done until age 3 anyway and if he does need speech you can do at age 3 and 4 and he may not even need it by kindergarten. My daughter didn't string too much together until 2 1/2 - 3. She did two and a half years of speech and was graduated before the end of the year in kindergarten.

Help him out when you read books by not always telling him the story, but asking open ended questions like what do you think is happening on this page? What's going on here? He will get used to saying more and more and be more confident. Seriously, though he sounds like he's doing great. No child is by the book :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have an Autistic daughter and everyone told me, when I voiced concern when she was two, that she was fine. I would like to have that year back. If you are concerned, have him evaluated. If he is fine, you can relax. If there is something, and I doubt it from your description, then you will have the earliest possible chance to work on it.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 10:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• hes fine, dont let anybody tell you otherwise...some kids just take a little longer to learn things...espeacially boys....just spend a little exta time with him so he can learn a little more because at this age is when children learn the most!
    Classymuchacha

Answer by Classymuchacha at 12:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'd give it more time...Make sure when you are speaking to him, that YOU are using complete sentences....make sure you are allowing him to use his words....don't finish sentences for him....remind him to use his words when he points, etc.....He sounds like he is progressing at his own pace and that is fine...if it makes you feel any better he is much more advanced than my son was at that age, and my son is 10 now and fine...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• wow!! he sounds very smartfor his age. dont worry about it to much my 3 year old is still working on sentences. as long as he's talking and you can understand him, i wouldnt worry.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2011