What is a spouse as defined by Federal law?

So my husband and I are recognized as common law in the state of Colorado, but we are not legally married. He has open enrollment for his health insurance coming up and I have no health insurance. I can be included if I am considered a spouse as defined by Federal law. I am on hold with the representative to see exactly what that means, but I have been on hold for like 35 minutes, so I figured I would kill some time here. Anyone know if I qualify?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I know my state doesn't recognize common law but they do recognize domestic partnerships (man & woman, man & man, woman & woman) and my insurance at work has to go by state laws, not federal laws when it comes to who can be insured. So if I wanted to I can have my S.O. who has been living with me for over 4 years covered on my insurance. I could also insure anyone that resides in my house that is a dependant of me...like elderly grandparents if they lived here. They should specify at the insurance company if they cover common law, domestic partnerships, marriage and dependants or if they exclude any of those.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Just go to the court house and get a marriage license. Then you will be. all it is, is a piece of paper. you dont even have to change your last name.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 5:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• By law you have to have a marriage license to be legally married and most healthcare companies won't take you unless you can show proof of your marriage.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• In the state of AZ you can now insure domestic partners, no marriage license necessary.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We are registered as a legal common law couple in Colorado, however, that will not hold in most other states because only 14 states recognize common-law marriages. But we reside and work in Colorado.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Depends on state laws and common law with regard to insurance. My state doesn't recognize common law.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008