How old was your child when they were able to be left at home?

My now 18 year old started being at home alone for about an hour after school when she was 11 and I felt really guilty about that but my hubby and I only had 1 car so we carpooled to work. :(

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our eldest that's 14 now started around 12, but it was only an hour or so at first. I've been a SAHM since he was born so thankfully he's never really been on his own. When we have a date night, which is about once a month he watches his brothers that are 7, and 8. We just started doing that, and it only lasts 2-3 hours at the most.
    We call home and check on him, and make sure he can reach us at anytime. We also have 2 100+ lb German Shepherds so they will get let out first if he hears anything. So far he's been very trustworthy, and we're very proud of him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• ~*Blushes*~... I hated the abbysitter so much, I would crack a window, so I could sneak back in... we were robbed twice with me doing this, before my mom let me stay home alone at nine!!! I hate what happened, but couldn't deal with the ladies daughter picking on me, and when I fought back (broke her Barrbie head thing, the one you style the hair, and only had shoulders) over the girls head, after her mom told me to fight back, and I ended up in trouble... I refused to go back after that... I WON

Home alone for me at 9 years old...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• 12 years old. Just for an hour or so to start with.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i have 2 daughters 6 and 3 years old...i would prob wait until my 6 year old is 13 or close so she can watch little sister.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 10:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We started allowing it this summer with our 10 and 9 year olds. They can each stay home by themselves. My 8yo and almost 5yo can stay if at least one of the older kids is with them. We're usually gone for a couple of hours while we go grocery shopping. They just play xbox and watch TV while we're gone. If we find out they didn't follow the rules then they lose the privilege of staying home on their own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was 14 before I could stay home alone. We lived in a rural area with few neighbors. My eldest is 9 and he is autistic, I'm not sure when or if I will leave him alone. He's high functioning, but has terrible judgment lol. His brother is 3, quite possibly 12 or so, depending on his responsibility and maturity.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2011