Difference between Christian and Catholic?

SO is Catholic. His nanna died and her services were in the Catholic style. Since I have very little knowledge about this branch of Christianity, can someone explain a little to me?

Simple things like why all the Hail Mary's, getting up and down, the things that they say between verses...

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• www.fisheaters.com has a lot of information that may help you....also catholic.org......
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am a Catholic but I have never been to a Roman Catholic funeral (only Eastern Catholic). So I can't really explain the different verses read or why there was kneeling because I don't know the order of the service.
    I can say that the Mass/Liturgy/Funeral that you attended has roots back two thousands years and that many things that are done are hard to understand because they have great depth of meaning to them. In the Eastern tradition even the direction that the casket faces has meaning!
    We say a lot of Hail Mary's because who better to intercede on your behalf than the Mother of God? Of course we worship and adore God alone, but when your husband won't listen to you can you go to your mother in law to see if she can convince him? Same kind of deal, maybe Jesus will listen to his mom and it never hurts to have someone pray with you.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Catholicism is a form of Christianity. So if you wanted to know how it compares you would have to pick another sect in Christianity and then compare the two.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well, a Christian is just someone who believes in God while Catholicism is a "branch" of Christianity. I don't know a whole lot about the Catholic religion as I was brough up Lutheran (though very similar I have been told). But I know the biggest thing is that they believe you have to talk to God through a priest, or the priest is the messanger for God. We were always taught we have a direct link to God and do not need a priest to have a connection. But this is just a small part of it and I am sure there are variations in Catholicism as well.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011