Does anyone make PIEROGIES??

Whenever my great aunt came to visit us when I was a yougin... (About once every 3 years) Her and my Grandma would make pierogies. They filled them with a cheese and potato mixture. Then we fried them up with onions!

I'm looking for a no fail dough and the prep required for it. Also the instructions for cooking them. I know you boil them, but I seem to remember my grandma saying they had to float and sink a few times or something like that. How do you make yours??

Nika75

Asked by Nika75 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I buy the frozen ones. But you know they are done when they float. I don't have a dough recipe for them though. GL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I too am guilty of buying the frozen ones, boiling until they float and then pan frying them with onions... They work quite well without the fuss of making them from scratch but I;ll look aorund for you and see if I can't find my grandmas recipes. Hers were sooooooo good.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Oh yeah! Good ole MRS. T's! I have a Family Size Pack in my freezer! They're a staple in my house! I'd love to take a day and make a huge batch and freeze them. I think it'd be cheaper in the long run, (we go through ours pretty fast!) plus nothing beats homemade! I think I want to do it for nostalgic reasons more than anything! LOL! Tat2edmommy, I'd love it if you could find Grandmas recipe! I found one on the food network tyler florence made, but it was way more complicated than my Great Aunt Rosie's I'm sure!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• ahh. . . nostalgia. I long for fried pies made by grandma, the only recipe she couldn't pass on. SIGH.
    I make a kickin' pierogie casserole with lasagna noodles, cheesy mashed potatoes, and sauteed onions. Easy as it sounds. Make your mashed potatoes, sautee your onions, boil your noodles and layer. bake at 350 for about forty five minutes.
    You can use round wanton wrappers as well for homemade pierogi. Also, Plumpy's makes a really close second.
    If you want a closer recipe for the casserole let me know. My husband keeps telling me I should put it in print for the girls.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Haha yup, sorry. Mrs. T's frozen :-)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My SO makes amazing perogies. I'll get the recipe from him soon and send it your way :)
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That would be wonderful!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2008