Would you just say no?

There's a single father who has his daughter in our Girl Scout troop and will call for rides to and from the meeting. Fine, they have no car and he can't drive if they did. Now his daughter is visiting a friend who lives a couple of houses down and she will come here to get a ride home. I understand it's cold, rainy, whatever - but I'm getting sick of this kid showing up to get a ride home. She's kind of snotty about it and I'm sick of it, but I have no idea how to end it without seeming like a monster.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Call the parents and just kindly let them know you are unable to do any more than pick her up to take her to scouts then take her home.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If its only a few houses down, tell her she can walk or call her dad so he can come get her, if he can walk
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with ABusyBee
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Her friend is a few houses down from me, the girl lives several blocks from me.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would call the father and explain to him that you have a family and that you are not a taxi driver. If the child is visiting another family why isn't the other family driving her home? Single or not it is his daughter, not yours... his responsability , not yours. Just tell him. If he thinks you are a monster, do you really care?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with the first response.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• In this situation I would tell the father he'd have to hire a taxi or get another family member to help him. I used to feel this huge responsibility for everyone who had hardships. I used to drive 45 min out of my way to get another girl to bring her to work (we were co workers). She never even offered gas money. I don't mind helping those truly in need of help, but at some point you have to put you and your family first. Contact the father and explain you won't be available to drive his dd any more, especially with the current gas prices!!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011