Now I know what everyone is complaining about.....

My best friend's brother and his wife are using the system ... before actually hearing them talk about it I never though that it was so bad as everyone complains about it, but now I understand it....

5 months ago they had a daughter and she has a mental disablility - it is something that is going to make it to where they will have to take care of her for the rest of her life - they were told that every child they have after her has over a 90% chance of having the same problems ....

She just found out she is pregnant with TWINS ..... this will make 7 KIDS ... ( under the age of 7 )

They live in the low income apts. neither of them have jobs...... when I was at my friends house I just sat and listened as they talked about how much money they are going to have next year at income tax time and that if the twins do have the same problem then they will beable to get more money a month...

It so disgusting and they arent even worried about the babies having this problem - they actually act like it would be worse if they didnt because then they would get as much $$$

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I can see why people use the system. Although I am working, I would make more on welfare but I would rather work than jump through the hoops to get welfare. In my state the requirements to be on welfare are insane. 40 hours a week looking for a job plus other "classes"...GED, parenting, resume writing, interviewing. Whatever needed to get a job...too bad there are no jobs to get.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well the "mom" hasnt ever had a job... and the "dad" has had maybe 2 jobs in the last 7 years ....but only worked at them, maybe a few months at the most.....

My friend was thinking of leaving her fiance before but didnt know what to do... I told her that the welfare office could tell her her options and what they could help her with until she got on her feet, and I said that I would watch her son while she worked or did the classes that you do to "work it off" ..... and that is when her SIL chimmed in and said that they only told them that one of them would have to do x amount of work or x amount of hours of a class .... but they never showed up to do that stuff and they still get money and food stamps... they have been doing this before they even had kids....

also... they both smoke ( so they buy ciggs) , they both get tattoos and piercings, and go out alot ( all of those things cost money) , not to mention they both
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• **** have their own vehicles... of course they are not brand new and they didnt get them from a car lot , but they are still nice cars....

It just drives me crazy .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• holy cow....I would think one kid with a disability like that would be exhausting! Forget the money part! My 2 yr old has recently been really sick and I am so drained! I feel likeI am not cut out for a sick kid.....

I think this is just awful!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• that is horrible! i wouldnt even be able to stand being around someone like that. It is really sad the things people do these days.
    mbright3747

Answer by mbright3747 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My husband lost his job 7 months ago. We were forced to move into low income apartments, get on foodstamps, and we held out to get cash aid. We were just approved this month for cash aid. I don't look down on those who use it and REALLY need it. But really? I believe that people who live off the state like that should be FORCED to get the 5yr birth control. That irks me.
    Ballababy177

Answer by Ballababy177 at 5:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If they are not working at all, they will not get any money back. So if that was their discussion then soon they will be working. Half your complaint will be taken care of.
    m3rryweather

Answer by m3rryweather at 5:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i've known people like that too. she didn't use more kids to get more money. but she did send her kids to school without lunch money because "the schools can't let them go hungry they have to feed them"... her and her man worked at the time which is why they didn't get approved for free lunches. everytime i would talk to her she would set there and tell me to do this or do that to get extra money from the government finally i told her we work through our hard times and stoppd talking to her.

yeah my family is on foodstamps. but we only use what we have too. since price of food has went up it is taking almost all we get money but for a long time we still have money left over. we don't buy junk food with it either. and try and keep the food cost down as low as we can. when we are back on our feet we are kissing foodstamps goodbye.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• another thing i can't stand is people that sue others just to get more money....

my dh was in a wreck in Nov. he rear ended a 18 wheeler and was in the hospital for a week. before he made it home we was getting letters from lawyers about sueing the trucking company. and several member of his extended family (that we don't really talk to but are nice to when we do run into them) was fussing because he was refusing to sue the trucking company. they keep telling him that companies will settle just to keep it out of court and he could have gotten thousands of dollars.

our things... dh was at fault.. we don't know if he fell asleep or what but he rear-ended the truck. the driver nor the company did anything wrong. it would have been wrong for use to sue for something we was not intitled too. now if they was at fault we would ask for them to pay the doctors bills and for time lost at work. which he is still on light duty.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• that is sadthat there are people out there who do things like that and having all these kids to live off of is so wrong.i don't see how they can file taxes if they get no income that is taxed. I am disabled and homeless and we get less than 160.00 a month to survive on i was making a lot more than that when I was working. after i had my youngest i had gone to a dr. at a volunteer clinic ( i had no insurance yet through work) he told me I hope you don't plane on having any more kids. I simply said to him someday maybe but not now!!! people that take advantage of the system make it hard for honest people
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 8:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011