• In the Spotlight:

My baby wants to eat for several hours!

My newborn is 16 days old and is beginning to get fussy and wanting to eat constantly in the evenings now. I am BFing and my nipples are sore from all of the use lately. Also he is pulling away from the breast a lot and it hurts. What do I do about this? Do I push him close to me or try to break the suction each time he pushes away? I have heard of clusterfeeding and growth spurts. How did you get through this time and how long did it last with your babies?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you producing much? I had the sme issue with my first child. I started pumping because I couldnt take it anymore. It took an hour to pump 1/4 of an ounce. She clearly was not getting enough. Pump and see how much you are prodicing. It may not be enough. Also, if you need to add formula to her diet mix them. If you do one then the other chances are she will throw it all up. They mix well int he tummy if they are mixed before she eats it.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You may not be producing enough milk.... or as my son did, your lil guy may be using your nipple as a pacifier. Go to the DR and check his growth, if he is growing he is getting enough but if not you may need to supplement with formula. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I pump 2 to 3 oz in about 10 to 15 mins and he is gaining weight really good.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• get yourself some 'Lansinoh nipple balm for breastfeeding moms' first off and i'd get ahold of a lactation specialist (my hodpital which is a really small hospital had one come about once a week) and ask but while he's "nursing" listen to see if he's actually swallowing or if he's just sucking... maybe try breaking the seal of boob and baby's mouth with a pacifier and letting him suck on that. Good Luck!
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Heh, my son would do marathon (3 hours, sometimes more) cluster feedings when he was hitting a growth spurt. Talk about suck. No pun intended.

As for the pulling away and all that I recommend the following: Whenever he pulls really hard yelp and ouch (probably not hard to do) and firmly flick his cheek and tell him NO bite! My kids tried this on me as well and after just a handful of flicks they got the idea not to hurt me. The other thing I'd do (more with my son) is break the seal with my finger and refuse to let him latch on until he started getting frustrated or angry about not being able to nurse.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Growth spurt. Just relax. As long as you're getting 6-8 wet diapers per 24 hours you're fine. It will probably last a day to a few days. But it too will pass. Just have patience. The first 6-8 weeks are growth spurt after growth spurt, then another around 3 months. It will get better.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You might not be  producting enough milk. call your doctor and see if you need to also use a formula.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• ABusy, pumping DOES NOT tell you anything about what baby is getting. It ONLY tells you how well your body responds to a pump. Baby gets MUCH more at the breast.
    Kelli, this was answered over on the breastfeeding moms group. You're doing FINE and already know what to do. Relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2011