3 week old with diarrhea

He was really fussy and gassy and awake all morning annd now this afternoon he has watery explosive diarrhea. Im breast feeding but all I ate today was (1 mountain dew, water, milk, banana, 6 inch turkey sub, slice of cheese and a cheeseburger with fries) im not sure if this is normal, if I should be woorried or what I should be doing to helo him. I gave him a warm bath and it seemed to settle him for now. Any advice would be great. Oh and no fever and still eating fine! Thanks!

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 11:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try one day without eating dairy? He might be lactose intolerant. How long has this been going on? Do you feed him anything else? It could be a lot of things but I would suggest to start eliminating what it could be and also having him checked out by a doctor soon due to his age. He needs to keep fluids while he has diarrhea so ask the doctor what you could give him. Keep a record of his body temperature too.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Are you sure it's diarrhea? All of my breast fed babies had crazy full, all over the place poopy diapers at that age. I wouldn't worry much if everything else seems normal. Try going up a diaper size if they are blowing out consistantly. That is what worked for me.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with the lactose intolerant. BOTH my boys were the same way. I had to switch to soy and they are fine.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You had a mountain dew so early-wow,my MIL used to give me boiled food till my baby was a month old
    A11

Answer by A11 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is something you are eating that don't agree with your baby. Good luck in finding it. First start with dairy.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just remember,Whatever u r eating and drinking goes to the baby through your milk. I would not be drinking soda or milk while breastfeeding. Poor baby!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Watery explosive poops are not unusual for a breastfed baby. Do you have a fast letdown? That can cause gassiness.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my son does the same when he's that age. I bf too, and he always making that constipation face and explosive watery poo. Bfding baby usually have more watery poo, and he poos almost every feeding. My ped told me if he can eat and poo he's fine. Eventually it will go away after two months when their system are a little more mature.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2011