If you work at a daycare, what are your parent pet peeves?

If you work, or have worked, at a daycare, what are your pet peeves of the parents of the children you watch? What things do they do that are not helpful or drive you crazy?

SherriPie

Asked by SherriPie at 11:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I worked in daycare for 12 years and now have my own in-home daycare. My pet peeves - giving children medicine so they are fever free until nap time so they can get in much of their work day, thus making everyone else around their child sick, not informing me of when they are at home so I call their work if I need something and am told that they are not there, not reading the newsletter and then saying "oh, I didn't realize you were having a Valentine's Day party or I would have sent Valentines with my child" or "I didn't know that we were to bring snow clothes on Wed. to play outside, did you write it on my daily sheet" It is all in the newsletter!!!
    I could go on, I am sure, but those are a few.
    Anonymous

• when the parents come to supervise...lol...if you want to be here you need to pitch in and help...lol otherwise its really just a hinderance. For some reason I have a certain authority with the kids, basically they listen to me 100x's better when the parent isnt there, when the parent is there it's like they turn into brats like that, *snap-finger* and not even bratty to me, but bratty to the parent as if the "be-bad" switch turned on
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• When parents bring their kids sick.
    When parents come to pick up their kid 30-40mins every single day.
    When they tell grandparents or someone else to come by and see their kid anytime without notice.
    When I had at home daycare, I had a rule about toys. Dont bring their own toys if they cant share them and then they send kids with their own toys.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My biggest pet peeve with parents was the parent with their head in the clouds about their child's behavior. Their child is the biggest brat or bully of the room and you try to tell the parent about the behaviors and they reply with "Oh Johnny wouldn't do that, he's a GOOD boy" or some other I'm-in-complete-denial-about-my-child response. Just made me want to shake them or knock their block off or something else to get them to see sense.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011