Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does your child have a peanut or other food allergy??

If so, what precautions have you taken (or plan to take) to avoid exposure at pre-school or kindergarten??

 
natersmom76

Asked by natersmom76 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 13 (942 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • DS is in the 2nd grade but he's allergic to soy (hives), tree nuts/peanuts (anaphylaxis, has an epipen), gluten (celiac's disease, GI distress) and Amoxicilian (hives). His school does a catered lunch. We pick his meals every month and are able to view the ingredients. His class is also peanut/tree nut free (3 other's are anaphylaxis to as well). He know's what he is not allowed to eat and knows not to accept food from others. So far in the 3 yrs he's been in school no reactions have occured! His school is very good with parties and food (they ask for a list of ingridients).

    DD is allergic to egg whites (hives) but she can eat them cooked into foods but not plain or egg noodles. She has multiple drug allergies that she has an anaphlaxis reaction. She's been in daycare since 1yr and is now 3yrs. They are very good on no eggs for her and so far no reactions! She too knows she cannot eat eggs and will let other's know.
    babyblue21

    Answer by babyblue21 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Dd is allergic to peanuts, milk, eggs, peas, green beans, squash, etc. I once let her go to a sunday school class because they assured me there would be no food but the contact from sticky fingers on the toys made her quit breathing. She will be homeschooled. I just can't take the risk, especially when food will actually be present at a real school. I hate that she will miss out, but I need her to be safe:(
    Ashes0813

    Answer by Ashes0813 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Oh my, I'm sorry to hear your dd has so many allergies! Mine is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts, cats, dust mites, and mold. It's a scary thing when you can't be there to monitor what they're doing and eating!!
    natersmom76

    Comment by natersmom76 (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Aw, thanks. It is scary. When they first told me she had allergies as a baby, I thought okay, I'll just make sure she doesn't eat such and such no big deal. I had no idea it would affect her life so much or that just touching something someone with unwashed hands had could actually hurt her. Hopefully once she's older (she's 3 now) she will understand her allergies and I can at least let her go to a private school with smaller classes so she can be around other kids. I've heard some kids can take Zyrtec daily and their reactions become less serious, but it didn't work for her, that would be nice though and may help some when it comes to school.
    Ashes0813

    Answer by Ashes0813 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • My dd is also 3 and is extremely allergic to cats. She takes Allegra for her allergies. We put it to the test this past weekend when we visited my hubby's grandmother who has a cat that is all over the living room furniture and sheds a lot--my dd was fine!! I was totally amazed at how well it worked. Only after being there for a while did she say that her eyes were feeling itchy. Maybe Allegra would work for your little girl as well. :o)
    natersmom76

    Comment by natersmom76 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • I'm gonna have to look when I'm at the store today, I didn't know they made that for kiddos!
    Ashes0813

    Answer by Ashes0813 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Ashes0813: Allegra is by prescription only, I think. Sorry, should have mentioned that!!

    babyblue21: That's great to hear that your school and daycare are so cooperative with the food allergies and you can feel that your kids are pretty safe. My dd has a peanut/tree nut allergy, and several environmental allergies as well. I can only hope that her preschool teachers next year are as cooperative and understanding.
    natersmom76

    Comment by natersmom76 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Touch allergy to melons. She gets a rash around her mouth.
    SweetLuci

    Answer by SweetLuci at 12:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011