Need Advice about custody agreement.

I am trying to write out a fair custody agreement between me and my boyfriend regarding our daughter, he has told me that he will agree to anything that I ask for but I still want to do what is fair for both of us. She currently lives with me but we are planning to move in with him soon. We are both committed to raising her together and feel that the best way to do that is to not shuffle her between two homes, I know this works for many people but we do not want that for our child. But in the case that something does happen I want to include it in the agreement. I am very unsure of how to word it...I am going to ask my lawyer but I want some other voices on it as well.

This is what I am thinking of including in the agreement:
"The child shall be allowed to reside with both parents in the same home. In the event that a separation occurs and the child in not of school age the time will be divided equally between the mother and father. In the event that the child is of school age she will reside with the mother during the school week and will have visitation with the father on the weekends and alternating school break periods."

something to this effect...does that seem fair?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 11:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter has joint custody of her twin daughters with their father, she has them 7 days he has them 7 days. It is a nightmare. The equal time may seem fair to the parents but it is horible on the children, Impossible to really get them involved in any kind of extra curricular activity if the other parent dont want to ...Not saying your childs father is a jerk or will become one like the twins father is, but in the event that should happen I would suggest you stating in the event of seperation they will reside with you primarly with the father having every weekend or everyother week end with liberal visitation right.
    darlinedemoss

Answer by darlinedemoss at 11:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You should specify the days/times for exchanges in your agreement (so that it can be enforceable if need be). What I would do, since the two of you are together, is make a VERY THOROUGH parenting plan that you all can put through the Courts should anything happen. Plan everything while you are on great terms, so that you won't argue later. Include everything from medical/dental/education decisions, to extracurriculars, access to records, etc.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2011