My kids have lice and I'm afraid I do too! I'm a single mom with very curly, very thick hair. How do I ever get rid of the nits all by myself?

mymomsmom

Asked by mymomsmom at 11:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know. Do you have a best friend you could call? How about a hairdresser? They would probably want you to stay out of the salon but you might be able to get someone to come to your house.

Good luck!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• A tiny barrel curling iron, they will burn and die. or a hot curl comb. but since it is thick hair, I've heard of that flower the companies sell from it, it's the one that smells very potent, .... geraniums. It's used in the shampoo, so it's natural, just use the most you can, I would if it was my hair.

hope the best for you hon.!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just remember to wash those pillowcases too. (just in case they are on the cases.)
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• OLIVE OIL....the preschool state program gave us olive oil with tea tree oil in it and told us to saturate th hair in it...leave on for like 8 hrs...then wash out with dawn dish soap, then wash with regular shampoo and conditioner and then take a nit comb to the hair and comb out all the dead lice. depending on severity, this proccess may need to be repeated everyday till gone
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i dont think tea tree oil is super important to have. if you only have olive oil, thats fine
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would check with local hair salons and see if they have any suggestions. You will need someone to help you look in/treat your own hair. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My family got lice while i was preggo.I learned from a website that mayo will smother them and olive oil eats away their hard first shell killing them and nits.You apply the mayo and olive oil and put on a shower cap and then leave it on for a hour.Then you rinse your hair and after that use white vinegar to further help remove nits.The stuff they use to stick to your hair is dissolved by vinegar.I rinse my kids hair with vinegar once a month.Don't forget to run a nit comb through your hair just in case and clean the house from head to toe.Good luck and i hope i helped.
    ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 2:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Get a bottle of YELLOW Listerine (NOT the generic kind regular yellow Listerine) pour it over your head saturate it (for my 8 year old I did 3/4 Listerine 1/2 water) It may sting alittle but it does not hurt at all. Cover your head with a shower cap for 2 hours. Rinse your head and make a mixture of 1/4 cup olive oil and 6-8 drops tea tree (yes tea tree is important as it unsticks the eggs from your hair folicals) put this mixture on your head for 2 hours. Rinse, wash with shampoo and conditioner.......comb your hair with a nit comb. Repeat this daily for 3-4 days. Cost about 10 bucks compared to the $30 toxic stuff like Nix etc. that doesnt work.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I didn't read all the post but I do have a solution to your problem. My now ten year old was always getting lice at preschool and up until first grade. I know this is going to sound crazy but Someone told me to use flee and tick dip, mind you I had spent lots of money on lice shampoo and it never worked. Now my daughter is in sixth grade and has not gotten lice since second grade, and that only cost me four dollars IT REALLY WORKS........
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i agree that olive does work but it is a temperary solution becouse I've tried it and mayo but my little one kept on getting them. I only had to dip her head with flee and tick tip once and she never got them back. Good luck....
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 1:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011