Anyone have kids with bladder/kidney problems?

My almost 2 yr old got an ultrasound today and something where they put some dye in her then xray it to check kidney and bladder function, a voiding cistogram maybe?

It showed that the ultrasound looked normal, but she has reflux of the bladder, which basically means she starts and stops being and isn't able to fully empty her bladder at one time. And it showed that the valve between her left kidney and bladder wasn't working so it was letting pee get back into her kidneys. The left side is a stage 3 on a 1 - 4 scale and on her right side it has the same issue but its a stage 1 or 2.

Right now they are having me give her miralax once a day till she is potty trained (she was full of poo and that can cause the bladder to have problems emptying i guess), they want her drinking cranberry juice once a day for a long time to try and help prevent another bladder and kidney infection and they want me to bring her in at any sign of another infection.

We are seeing a specialist at denver children's hospital in april, but i was just curious about other people's experiences.

I do know that they can sometimes grow out of it and they usually want them on antibiotics for at least 6 months while it heals/goes away on its own or they need to do surgery to repair it.......

RosePetalTears

Asked by RosePetalTears at 11:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• We had the same issue with my older daughter. She kept getting urinary tract infections over and over and over...it was awful. After being diagnosed with reflux, she was put on a regimen of daily antibiotics for about 18 months to prevent the UTI's from occurring. When she was 5 or 6 years old, we took her back to the specialist to have the testing repeated, and amazingly, her problem had corrected itself so no surgery was needed. The docs were very surprised but also very pleased, as we were. Hopefully your daughter will too, but if not, I'm sure she will be cared for well and surgery should help correct it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2011