Black and Blue eyes 9 hours after dental surgery n 4 year old

My son had surgery at 9 30 this morning to get 5 silver caps put on his teeth and he did awesome through that. Woke up fine, was just really sleepy. Got home at noon and he slept till 3 and then was awake the rest of the day. He was moving around and acting pretty normal. Ate some snacks and supper, drank something when he was thirsty. At 8 30 i put him to bed and i noticed his eyes were turning black and blue. Like big circles. I asked him if he was tired and he sasid yea. at 10 30 i checked on him again and they were still black and blue. When he was 3 he was hospitalized for dehydration and i remember his eyes turning black and blue and being sunken in. Im kinda worried but my husband thinks we should wait till morning to take him in. What do you think?

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had a couple of root canals recently and had a black eye from both of them. However, I don't know about just getting caps. I would call his dentist - or the pediatrician if you don't trust the dentist.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You can always call your on call doctor if you are overly concerned. Did he drink today? If so then he shouldnt be dehydrated so I think your husband may bbe right in giving it the night & see how he looks/feels in the morning. If they are still black & blue then give a call to the appropriate office.

I honestly dont know if getting black & blue eyes is a normal thing though. I'm just telling you what I personally would do with my own child with the information you have given. Hope all works out.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would call the pediatrician and dentist immediately. The pediatrician should have an answering service which will send him a message and he should call you. He can help you decide if he should go to the ER. If he seems lethargic or it gets worse, I would take him in anyway.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011