Are religious church-goers somewhat brainwashed?

When I was a kid, my mom would have me and my little brother go to a Seventh-Day Adventist church and I guess I didn't mind it too much even though I didn't understand one bit of it. As I got older I realized I wasn't interested in religion and I felt that it wasn't right for me.

I feel that a lot of people are brainwashed and believe anything that is told to them at church. I've had debates with my mom before because she has told me that it says in the Bible that if a person doesn't pay tithes and offerings then that person is hell-bound. How is that right? If I'm treating people the right way, taking care of my child, helping others who are in need, and being the best person that I can be, why would I go to hell if I don't pay tithes and offerings, or go to church? It just doesn't make sense to me, nor does religion.

cocobrown28

Asked by cocobrown28 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that most are not - but sure, some probably are. I think it's something that we have to be individually responsible for - and within families - to maintain a sense of perspective and keep our faith where our God-type-person is and not in preachers etc.

I also think some certain churches have more problems like this than others... especially the ones where they have little old ladies mailing their savings in to rich powerful preachers they've never met!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think we are all brainwashed to a certain extent....It is impossible to be totally objective, but we also make choices in what we choose to believe to be true...For whatever reason, your mom has chosen to believe that her interpretation (or the SDA) of the Bible on that issue is truth....and her given (that which is non-negotiable) is that if the Bible says something it must be literally true for her. I believe that a lot of that is in our wiring, our upbringing, or reaction to events in our lives....etc....etc....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• In church, at least where I go, we are encouraged to pray about it. No matter what it is, because ultimately you have to decide for yourself if whatever your doing is right between you and God.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think some are or act that way while others have a grasp of reality & do not. I certainly have come across & even have family members who act in a brainwashed or extreme way that I do not understand or agree with. I think we should all just be open minded & let everyone live how they want to as long as they are not harming others. I dont understand why its so hard to do this, its how I live my life. I am always curious about others beliefes etc & have no issue with convos but sometimes I agree while other times I do not. I expect the same of others & those who do not hold that same thought I do not hang around with honestly. I actually have a group of friends one is very Jewish, another very Christin while I do not believe in any type/following of a religion, we all get along great b/c of our personalities & respect eachothers differences, why cant we all jst be like that.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Musicmom80, I'm actually not bashing a particular religion, I'm stating the religion that my mom has chosen. Not once in my post did I say that only Seventh-Day Adventists are brainwashed. I'm talking about religious people in general, not just one particular religion.
    cocobrown28

Comment by cocobrown28 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The religion may not be relevent, but like I said, I'm stating what religion my mom chose and I'm not asking this question to start an arguement, therefore, I won't continue to dwell on it. As I said before, that is the religion that she had us to believe in, I'm not bashing any particular religion by including it in my post. I could understand your point if I had called them names or specifically said something negative about the Seventh-Day Adventist, but I didn't.
    cocobrown28

Comment by cocobrown28 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Actually ptomom678, I do have an open mind and heart, and not once in my post did I say that all people who go to church are brainwashed, I said that I feel that a lot of people are, so before you start accusing me of anything take the time to read my post once more and you will see that I wasn't putting everyone into one group by saying that all religious people are brainwashed. And yes, to answer your question, I have tried church and I don't need to prove myself to anyone, thank you.
    cocobrown28

Comment by cocobrown28 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• first of all you ca't put ALL people who go to church in the YOUR personal definition of brainwasing because YOU have a problem with HOW your mother has presented tithe paying. Secondly, instead of jumping on the defense about this have you ever had an opened mind and heart to try it for yourself than make a judgment? Third do you know what all is involved in brainwashing? Maybe you should check your reasoning for your argument., so far it is moot.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Why do you have to bring up one particular religion(Seventh Day Adventists)? That kind of bothers me seeing as my mother is Adventist and in no way is she brainwashed. It's okay if it doesn't work for you, I have no religion, but that doesn't mean it's ok to bash other religions, or assume they are "brainwashing".
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Your title says church goers, then you used a particular religions name while trying to prove a point. The question wasn't what religion is your family. You were trying to prove a point, the actual religion isn't even relavant.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011