You know that feeling you get RIGHT AFTER you find out they're okay?

Yeah.... that sort of RELIEF GIVES WAY TO ANGER feeling. I have it right now.

For the VERY first time in 5 years my husband, who works with high-pressure wells and has to travel for hours sometimes without sleep to get to a well, FAILED to call or text me when he arrived at his destination.

I've spent the last FIVE hours not being able to get in touch with him, unanswered texts, pacing the floors, worrying, imagination running wild - ready to call the highway patrol, his boss, or anyone else I could just to find out if he's okay...... then he calls.... "I'm so sorry, Baby, I just hit the ground running, I got so busy and the cell service isn't very good" ---- Then for a minute, when I heard his voice, I just fell apart.
Not only have we never had a fight in 5 years, this really is literally the FIRST time he's ever Not called to let me know he got to his destination and was okay.

OMG don't they realize how worried we get..... WHEW! I'm glad that's over.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Eh sometimes they forget. Instead of jumping to the thought of something has happened I always jump to the thought of he's busy. Now there is a line when I do get worried sometimes & I could see at a five hour mark depending on what he was doing being worried/upset but he just forgot. I forget to call SO when I arrive in my destination all the time which makes him pissy. Glad he is fine & it was sipmly b/c he forgot to call you. Sorry you had to be worried for so long though.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Been through that myself.....but ended up mad at myself....I was the one who forgot he had school that night. My hubby worries about me the same way. Be thankful that he is OK and forgive his not calling.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 12:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it's just the fact of what he does for a living. That stuff is dangerous. I get that way if my husband, who works on high voltage electrical panels on the night shift, doesn't call if he won't be home on time. I always get scared that he got fried and someone's going to show up on my doorstep in the morning to tell me I'll be caring for my step son by myself. We get scared because we care and it's no different than giving your kid a lecture when they'll be late and don't check in. It's 'cause we love them and I never apologize for telling him off for not calling. I just make sure i tell him it's because I care and we always end any argument with hugs and kisses. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• O I'm not mad at him. It's just that initial anger that wells up then subsides just as quickly. But it's hard not to "jump to the thought that something's happened".... when it's been hours and this has never happened before.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Awww thank you MamaStuart. When he did call - and pitiful me fell apart -- he told me "I'm glad you love me that much". But for a little while there I almost couldn't breathe. Knowing he'd been awake for so long, coming off of an already 28 hour shift, exhausted, driving 3 hours to get there, his cell phone constantly blowing up (cuz he's the boss) makes driving even more hazardous, blah, blah, blah. Ya know. (And personally --- I'm coming off dealing with the death of a classmate of my niece..... 12 years old, got in the car with her Mom to go home, Mom ran a stop sign, truck hit them, daughter wasn't wearing a seatbelt, got thrown 75 feet from the car --- just happened yesterday -- so I'm already a little raw-nerved.)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh honey do I ever! My husband is an OTR Truck Driver and he drives up & down snowy/icey mountains and hauls crushed cars which is all very dangerous. So yeah, I know what that feeling is like when you hear his voice. :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 1:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Don't they drive ya nuts sometime?But realize they worry about us the same ways and just be glad when they do call all is fine.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 12:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011