Why are the names of people who gave money to support/oppose prop 8 made public?

There are several websites you can go to where you can see who game money to support or oppose propositional 8. Some people gave just like $25 others gave several thousands of dollars.

Some of the gay activists have labeled this as "black-listed".

I know where one gay couple parked outside the home of a family that gave money to support it, and painted on the car BIGOTS LIVE HERE.

Why is this made public Shouldn't there be a law against it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You can also find out who gave money to Obama or McCain.

But can you find out who gave money to the American Cancer Society or whateer?
    Anonymous

• Who cares?
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't know but I looked it up and for the fun of it looked to see if my gay cousin gave me against it abd sure enough he did..........
    Anonymous

• iWho cares?

becuase they're being harrased thats why
    Anonymous

• Where is it written that once you decide to support something you cannot be questioned on it. They supported something that a whole honking lot of people find discriminatory. So, people are going to ask them why.

Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't want my name publically displayed, for fear of something happening. I thought voting was a private issue.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Not sure but if I recall there was a list being kept by a newspaper. Its really stupid for these people to be attacking others people bc they voiced their opinion. They people have spoken TWICE in CA and now the very thing liberals complain about they are doing, being intolerant, being bigots.
    Anonymous

• I dont think they should list on either side, but I think they do it for tax purposes.
    Anonymous

• Voting is private but donations are not. I don't care if anyone sees who I have donated to or not.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It depends upon what the laws are in California for donations and what not........ I know that if I was to personally give a candidate or a group that had something put on the ballot over a certain dollar amount-my name would be made public and exactly how much I gave.... But, it vary's state by state......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008