Whats the chance of my 10 month old son (Breastfed) catching the flu from daddy aka my husband?

My husband has kept distance from him but theres still germs in the air lol...so im wondering if my son will be okay...and also he has a little trouble breathing so he may have asthma when he gets older because daddy does so thid worries me, Please help????

Classymuchacha

Asked by Classymuchacha at 12:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i don't think asthma is genetic. b/c i'm the only one in my family that has asthma. and one of my friend's kids has asthma and no one in their family has it. there may be germs in the air but it's not as contagious as tuberculosis. as long as daddy keeps his distance and washes his hands frequently then your son should be fine.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• okay thanks lots for the info!
    Classymuchacha

Comment by Classymuchacha (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Asthma IS genetic. There are, at minimum, 6 people in my immediate family that have asthma. I have it and so does my son and mom.

Not sure what the chances are, but there is the a possibility.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Asthma does have a genetic link - that doesn't mean if you have asthma your kids will or if you don't, they won't. It means your risk of having asthma increases if you have a family history. Same holds true with allergies. If there is a family history of allergies - ANY allergies - your child has a higher risk of developing any other sort of allergy.

Regarding the flu - breast milk will provide antibodies, however, it's not Fort Knox. Is it possible your daughter will avoid it? Absolutely. Is it possible she could get it? Sure. the flu is a virus with many genetic mutations. People get the flu multiple times in their lives because it's not the same virus each time they are exposed - the body does not have an immunity to strain B just because it saw strain A the year before. You may not have the antibodies to *this* strain to pass on. That doesn't mean she *will* get it, of course.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Worrying isn't going to help. You done what you can, now relax.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My three year old had the flu two weeks ago...he tested positive for it....we were all worried but no one else in the house got it...not even his brother whom he shares a room with.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011