Do you feel that if you get pregnant that you should marry the man?

What if its the second baby? Or the third child? Is it even necessary to get married just because you have his children?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• it is not necessary
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not at all. I think people put too much stock in "Traditional" family values and sometimes push themselves into marriage when it is not a good idea.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No way.
    I don't see how that could possibly be a healthy marriage unless you've been together for a while and have been putting it off, or something.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• no
    me and my SO have one baby together...we do not plan to get married until I finish at the university. Coinsidently I don't want to have a second baby until I have finished at the University and found a job. So if we get married it'll be between finishing school and having #2.

so to answer the question, I plan on marrying before we have a second baby.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• NO ive been with my man for almost 11 years we have two boys and a girl on the way and no desire to be married....we have been common law for a few years now but he has been talking more and more about marriage so if he wants to im for it if not i really dont care
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i think it is the right thing to do by the kids. it also sets a good example for the children to see both mom and dad in the same household, plus the mother will not have the title "baby mama" it is better to be a mother and wife....more respectable imo.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• imho, i think if you're pregnant & in a functional relationship with the man, you might as well get married. i think having a child is much more serious than getting married. the label is just a formality. i think you'll be better off, in order to obtain certain rights in the event of a divorce. if you plan on being together "forever", might as well be married just for all the legal benefits. i really don't understand why some women are so hesitant to get married when they already have so many kids with someone for fear of commitment. (unless they are just opposed to the whole concept of marriage). if you have kids, you're already committed to each other for life, together or not.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• not unless it had been discussed before the pregnancy. Quite honestly, I'd feel bad if I thought a guy was marrying me just because I was having his child...just because he felt he HAD to.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you truly love him and want to be with him forever, yes I think you should get married. If you don't love him or unsure if you want to spend your life with him, don't marry him just because you're having a baby together. A divorce is really hard on a child, much harder than having parents who were never married in the first place IMO.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011