At what age did you put your child in a toddler bed?

So my sons first Birthday is next sunday. He just started to stand up and walk like 3 to 4 steps on a good day.should i move him in to a toddler bed.Plus i know someone that really need the crib. My husband says we should wait but my son stands on toys and i think he is trying to get out of his crib all the time.I wanted to buy him an ikea toddler bed and rails so adorable.

ohmama713

Asked by ohmama713 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's really up to you. With both of my children they were 2 years old and climbing out of the crib. There are some people who never put their child in a crib and others who keep their child in a crib way longer than I personally think is best.

If you do put him in a bed be sure that there are railings (like the bed you said you wanted to get) because toddlers do roll out of bed easily. There's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night to a thump and a scream.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• With my first we waited until she was just under 2. With my second we started getting her into the toddler bed at 15ish months. She is only staying in there half nights now but it is gettting better.
    kabbima

Answer by kabbima at 5:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It really depends on if your son is trying to get out of the crib and will fall out trying. My son will be 3 at the end of summer and is still in his crib because he does not try to climb out of it and he likes it, but if he had tried to ever climb out I would have moved him to a bed right away. I really like the fact that he cannot roam the house if he wakes up in the middle of the night or befoe me in the morning, he would get into everything even though I have done all I can to child proof everything, he still would find something to get into and I feel safer with him in a crib.
    malyn3211

Answer by malyn3211 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i did it at 2 years
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my son is two and he sleeps in a toddler bed and does great with it i was worried about it too, but we started this a couple of months ago.
    greenegurls

Answer by greenegurls at 5:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think a year old is too soon for a toddler bed. Take anything out of his crib he can stand on.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 6:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my son climbed out of the crib around 13 month so i had to take him out of the crib and he slept better in a toddler bed
    JacobsMama1022

Answer by JacobsMama1022 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My son will be a year on July 24th and we PROUDLY put him into a toddler bed 3 nights ago. With the crib he was screaming and crying and wanted to sleep on the floor instead, we have had NO issues with a toddler bed at all and he sleeps the night through.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 8:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I put all 3 of mine in a toddler bed at 2. All children respond differently to this. If there is any toys in the bed the baby could stand on and fall out remove them. other than that you will know when it is right.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 9:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• yea if they start to crawl out of the crib its safer for them to be in a toddler bed.
    greenegurls

Answer by greenegurls at 3:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2008