Plz help and no bashing

I am a young mom at 20 years old and my son just tuned 1 in jan and I have never has him on any type of schedule and and i was reading that structure and scheduling is good to have with your infants and i feel horrible that i never really did but now i think its about time that i do. I dont want any bashing cause i know i will get alot of you can do it your self, you waited to long blah blah blah but really i was wondering if i could get some examples of schedules u guys have your infants on between the ages of 1-2. I need ideas to do with him and FYI im a stay at home mom so no need to work around any of my day cause im with him all the time just would like to make a planned day for him because he has been staying up till almost midnight last few days so any info u would have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was a stay at home mom for a bit over the first year and let me tell u, my son had absolutely no routine. He finally has one now that I am working because I am now on a routine. so my best advice would be , force yourself into some sort of morning/night routiine and your LO will follow
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i will not bash. I believe unless they need to get up and go to daycare or babysitter everyday there is no need for a schedule. i have found out the tend to make their own schedule. they get tired a the sleep they get hungry so u feed them and i Have a happy healthy 3.5 yr old boy and life is working just fine for us and he is not on any schedule. in fact when he does take a nap i wish he didnt cause that is when he wont go to bed until very late at night. anyways my point is it is up to u if u want to have them on a schedule and i dont think it is right for people to bash u for the why u choose to parent. good luck.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 12:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• All you have to do is try and get him in bed say between 7-8 and do that for awhile, and then get more precise, and say bedtime IS at 7. same thing with lunch, nap etc. Dont make the schedule so strict, and perfect, lifes not perfect, make it a gradual process, Its alot less stressful for mom and baby.
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 12:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well, there's never anything wrong with trying to do better by your child. Anyone who would bash you is probably a self absorbed moron who thinks they are an expert. We all find out things that we could do differently to make it better for our kids.

Anyway...
    My boys are 3 and 4 now, so I don't remember exact schedules, per say. Basically, we have a set schedule for major things, such as every day, we get up at the same time, have meals at the same time, have baths at the same time, go to bed at the same time. (I mean the same time every day. You get what I'm saying.)
    Once you have that schedule established, all else that falls in between is a routine, and that depends on you, your son, your family unit, etc. So the routine is something you've got to figure out on your own to do what works for you and your family.

Good luck!
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well at that age a baby still needs 2 naps a day. Whatever time you wake up, get the baby up. Then after about 3 hours put him down for a nap in his bed orwait for cues that he is sleepy. Then he should nap 1-2 hours. Then you put him down for second nap in the late afternoon but not too clos to bdtime again for 12 hours. Then stay on a consistent bedtime every night. I can't remember how much total sleep a baby needs withim 24 hours, you can Google that stuff I'm sure but I want to sa it's around 15 hours. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have a 4 yr old, 1 yr old, and 5mth old they wake up at 9am we eat breakfast and from their they have no schedule and I just do house work tell around 12pm I make a small lunch and we clean up their room after and get them to take a nap after they wake up from a 30-45min nap they do what ever they want and than we have a snack around 3pm and at 6pm I make diner and at 8:30pm I bathe them and put them to bed at 9pm
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 12:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my daughter is 3 and she always had a schedule but it shifted for what works for her. she wakes up and lays in bed til we get up usually 20 min of her talking and playing in her room then she gets dressed and brush teeth. i work so she goes to daycare and eats breakfast and so on when we get home she plays in her room, or watches tv then she eats, takes a bath and we have quiet time where we have our time then around 8 she goes to bed and start over the next day.. on weekends she has a bed time at 830 because she likes to get up early and then we do chores and kinda have a lazy day.. good luck
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 1:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Hun, consistency IS good but that doesn't mean that a routine or scheduled out day is the best for you or your son. Every child (and every mom, for that matter) is different.

My kids don't sleep 12 hours a night - and my dd who just turned doesn't need 2 naps a day any more. On the same hand, ds who was 5 in November needed 2 naps a day for the longest time... and really still does best with a nap every day after pre-K. My 1 yr old dd takes 2 naps a day, sometimes even 3 and goes to bed around 8 and wakes up between 8-9am.

If you're wanting ds to go to bed earlier, try and cut out his late nap.

Good luck, mom :)

No bashing- you need to find what works best for you and your child :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I do something like breakfast at 6am play time till around 9:30 then do a light snack. Play time till 11:30am then have lunch play till 12:15pm then lay him down for a nap pat his back or rub him to get him to go to sleep let him sleep till at least 2 if don't wake up before then. at 2:20 do a light snack. Then play time till about 4:30pm or so then do dinner. do bath about 6 and light snack at 7 bed at 8. You can prefect this schedule but this is the schedule my 3yr old is on. I play with her to wear her out so she is tired for nap. Then her brother and sister wear her out before bed after they get home from school.

You have to find out what works for you I just got mine on this schedule in August.
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 10:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• As a working mom a schedule was a must for us. My 18 month old son wakes up around 6 am. We have breakfast around 6:30. Around 8:30-9:00 he shows signs of being sleepy so its nap time. He sleeps for 1-2 hours. Lunch is around noon, with another nap around 2. He sleeps for an hour to an hour and a half. When he gets up, we have a snack, play and dinner is around 6. A little more playing, bath and he's in bed by 8 or 8:30 at the latest. Try to get it so it works with your life. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011