I'm terrified of death

on my way home from work, I started thinking about how afraid I actually am of death. Basically it is similar to the time between being awake and falling asleep. No one remembers that time frame because brain functions start turning off. Studies have shown that the "light at the end of the tunnel" is just an illusion from chemicals released from the brain before death, which also so happen to be released right before dreams. As far as I know, you can't literally "see" the afterlife like you can "see" the computer. So basically once you die.....that's it. Nothing else. I'm terrified of death. I know it will happen oneday but I'm very scared.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've been afraid of dying ever since I was a little girl. Not sure why. Just afraid that I will never wake up again one day. I always wondered what it will be like when I die.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• well if you believe in god you shall have nothing to worry about god is the lite and if you wanna be saved believe that he died on the crosss for our sins!! im a christain and you shall not be terrified of death but everyone is of cause! there is an afterlife after you die you either go to hell or heaven!! so yer well im not to sure what your belifes are but yea there is an after life and also GOD IS REAL!!
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I want to be all fairy tale about it. Like it's a really long dream, you reunite with loved ones, etc etc. But from what I've been told you cant actually see whats going on, I mean your brain functions have stopped working. I'm starting to believe all the word about afterlife is just a way to calm people down about fears of death. But I will always be convinced somewhat because I was visited by my grandpa about 13 years after he died. He didnt say a thing to me though
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• BELIEVE
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You shouldn't allow yourself to be afraid of death. If you believe in God then death doesn't scare you. I think we all fear the unknown and that's what death is.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have been visited by several people. After my oldest daughter passed away (she was still born and I have her urn) she would play with the toys that I bought for her when I was pregnant. I could hear her in there playing with them. I've also been visited by an ex boyfriend of mine who was murdered 5 years ago in dreams. Idk...I just experience wierd things like that.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I've been visited by my grandpa and something paranormal passed through me in the middle of the night many years ago. I have also heard a calming voice out of nowhere and when I was alone, while I was crying many years ago. Nothing paranormal has happened in a long time though
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I do believe in God but I'm still scared of death. I pray to God and ask the Virgen Mary for guidance when I need it. (The Virgin Mary is a Catholic thing, I think. At least I know that most Hispanic people talk to the Virgen Mary for guidance anyway, and most Hispanics are Catholic's.)
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I do believe in God and the Virgen Mary, yes I'm hispanic too. I am terrified of death only because I don't want to suffer. Like drowning or burning. I lost my father at a young age and it definately changed how I lived my life. I am not a murderer or drugee. Just didn't live up to my fullest potential. I don't want my children to go through what I did and do what I did. Those two reasons are why I fear death. I pray God will have mercy on me and make my death quick and painless after my kids don't need me anymore. Like when I'm really old. So that shouldn't be soon. Although my son believed I had a dinosaur for a pet when I was little.
    Barbs05

Answer by Barbs05 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I was like you...I was so afraid but then I realized I was being selfish (not that i am saying its bad) but there is nothing we can do about it. This may very well be true. We die and that is it. No one knows what happens after death. No one has been able to come back and say lol. That is the mystery and why people have faith. They want to believe there is more and that there is a special place they go to for all the hard work they have done.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2011