Is this appropriate at school??

IS it appropriate for DS (4 y/o) school to put a string with a straw around his neck to have something he can chew on. I realize most kids don't have this problem by this age. We have told the school not to do it, but DH wonders if they'll actually listen. We just don't think its a very safe method. Has anyone one has had a school do this with your kid?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is most definitely inappropriate if you specifically tell them you don't want this going on.
    If he has to have something to chew on, I'm sure there are better ideas that you can all agree on.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am guessing that they are trying to redirect his chewing. Is he biting other little ones?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would be concerned, that doesn't sound very safe for that age group. I would ask them to come up with a better alternative, if possible
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have never heard of that. Do you meanthey made a staw necklace with string running through it? It sounds odd regardless.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• sounds odd but its your kid, you tell them you dont want it. If he has a biting issue, to where he is biting other kids you need to get him some sort of chew toy, or whatever they are called or he will get kicked out.. I actually just kicked a kid out of my after school program because he has a biting issue. Bites every one I swear, had to go.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Melbornj - No he does not bite other kids. Only the collar of his shirt.

SweetLoveofMine - Yes it is a straw with a string going through it. Made into a "necklace"
    Apple_Pie2010

Comment by Apple_Pie2010 (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would think they would offer your child gum or something a lot less noticeable. The other kids will end up teasing him. I would not allow them to do this to my child. As long as he is not hurting anyone they should not do this. Some kids bite their nail, play with their hair, or suck their thumb. Eventually they out grow it.
    Barbs05

Answer by Barbs05 at 1:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• First and foremost, it's a choking hazard on the playground. I was a director for large preschools for many years and we never allowed children to have ANYTHING around their necks because it could easily get caught on a piece of climbing equipment and you run the risk of choking.
    We didn't even allow children to put the hood up and tie it on their sweatshirts, etc. for that very reason.

You're the parent. If you don't have a problem with him chewing on his collar, I'm not sure why they should. Tell them you do not want them to do this anymore and if they don't stop, go to the Director.

Good luck
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 5:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have my hang ups about things around the neck so I would never allow this. I am not a fan of necklaces so I wouldn't exactly go for this. I realize some of my fear is not quite rational but I did have a sibling who strangled to death. So....I am more paranoid than most. My son's school has never had an issue with any requests or concerns I have had about safety.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011