Should cats be inside all the time or outside most of the time?

Nitestalker

Asked by Nitestalker at 12:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pets

• My daughters cat is inside all the time.  I can't speak on other peoples cat, just our own lol.  I leave a back window open so that she can get fresh air 24/7 and she has access to every window.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• cat

letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i have a pet hair allergy and a cat ...she came to us as a skinny halfstarved kitten and we started feeding her and she must have liked it because now four years later she is spayed ,microchipped etc and ours (eventhough she would probably say we are hers..lol) since i have the allergies she is outside during the day and in the garage during the night..she comes in the kitchen where i can use the swiffer vac to vaccuum her hair up...works for us...guess it depends on where u live and what ur cat is used to....if ur cat is inside u probably want to get her things to keep her entertained and busy and from scratching up ur stuff...if ur r worried about her safety inside is the way to go...
    mollysmom212

Answer by mollysmom212 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It is up to the cats ( 4 ) in our home . Now it is winter they don't go out much. I don't live on a busy road so it is quite safe for them .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Either but if they're going outside at all PLEASE be sure they're FIXED.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 4:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think either is okay, but I prefer indoors. Cats live longer if they are indoor cats. They get fewer diseases, aren't hit by cars, don't fight with other animals, and fleas are much less of an issue. My father is a veterinarian and he told me that the average life span of an outdoor cat is 4 years and the average life span of an indoor cat is about 17 years.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's my opinion that cats are much safer indoors than out. They can bring in parasites and diseases if they are 'in and out' cats, plus there's cat fights, cars, dogs, poison, and where we live, other predators. And, if they are declawed, the cannot defend themselves from other cats or dogs. My cats have never been outside, and they are perfectly happy and well-adjusted animals.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• depends on if they are fully declawed or not
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would keep them inside unless I took them out on a leash. It is too dangerous for cats to stay outside 24/7. They can get sick, get in fights with other cats, get run over, or get stolen and used as "bait" for dog fighters or be sold for used in a labratory. And of course they will go out and multiply big time unless they are spayed/neutered.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• We have 3 cats and they have always been inside
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011