Should I be offended that my MIL called my husband last night to ask if he would meet with her privately ?

Am I being overly sensitive? My husbands mom called to ask if he would meet with her for a private discussion, just the two of them. His birthday is next week, and she specifically asked to meet with him after that. If it was good news, I think she would have wanted to talk to him before - or on - his b-day. If it was a simple family matter, I think I'd be included. Do I have a right to be upset that she'd like to have a conversation with him that she obviously doesn't want me to be privy to? Do I have the right to ask if I can be included?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• I don't think you should be upset. If its something that she wants to discuss with just him, I am sure that he'd tell you later. I know that sometimes I want to talk with my mom or dad alone, and not with their spouse. I know that sometimes my mom wants to spend time with just me. I think its nice to be able to spend time as a group or just sometimes one on one. She probably has something to discuss with him that may be personal to her. don't worry.
    AnnikaJan

Answer by AnnikaJan at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I agree. I frequently want to just speak to my Dad with out his wife. I wouldn't think any thing of it if one of my children wanted to talk to their dad without me.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 6:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I wouldn't worry yet. Ask him about it. Plus it may be about her, something she wishes to share with her son. Some things are hard to talk about. I am sure that somewhere down the line you will be told.
    Tabetha_ruh

Answer by Tabetha_ruh at 7:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Has your relationship with her been good bad or indifferent in the past. If it's good I wouldn't be concerned until your have reason. If it's bad...accept there are some ppl in life who you just won't get along with and move forward in your life. If MIL turns out to be complaining about you..let him know his mother has no place in the middle of your relationship and HE needs to tell her to back off. As always IMO
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2008