My almost 3 year old son is having bad tantrums and biting, what can I do to control him?

AMIsbell77

Asked by AMIsbell77 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Control is an illusion babe.  From what I've found, everyone has bad days, even kids.  When my kids throw a tantrum, I sit back and let them.  Sometimes it's their only way to show their frustration.  Does he KNOW that biting is wrong?  My 16 month old was biting pretty bad but she didn't actually understand.  I put my teeth on her arm (not biting, demonstrating) and told her NO NO.  She got it.  My 3 year old got into the biting habit and out of it pretty quick.  She bit the little one and I spanked her butt.  My oldest never bit on purpose, he just had his mouth open a lot and would scrape, lol.  Time outs, have you tried those or are they not working?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My daughter just turned three & oh boy her attitude is something else! She dosent bite though *whew* so I am unsure what to do about that per say. I ignore her tantrums though honestly. When she gets going I pick her up & move her to the bedroom & walk away. Often times she runs out after me but I simply pick her back up & do it again until she stays. At this point since we've done this for a long time now she will just scream "I wanna calm down" when she is over her fit & starts to sooths herself down. When you put him back into the room try not to say anything just keep doing it (gates only anger more so I recommend not using that personally). This has worked for us & when she is completely out of control we have put her to bed for the entire night as early as 4pm but will do it earlier if we have to, works good when she has to be in bed so early.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• So the best thing to do is just ignore him?
    AMIsbell77

Comment by AMIsbell77 (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would try time-outs and be consistant with it...It is going to take time for him to outgrow this...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011