Do you use homemade laundry detergent?

Does it make your clothes smell "clean"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• no i have always used tide ...dont like gain either eventhough i think its supposed to have the same ingredients..i have a friend who makes her own detergent and spends very little money and loves it...
    mollysmom212

Answer by mollysmom212 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Equal parts of baking soda, Borax, and unscented oxy clean, or clorox olor safe bleach powder. The clothes smell fresh.
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 1:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• clorox color safe bleach powder*** its $7 and it lasts a month
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 1:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The key here is HOMEMADE. I know I can buy stuff that smells clean. I want to know if people use homemade stuff that makes stuff smell clean.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I make a gel from borax, washing soda, and Fels ~ and rinse with vinegar. We have a farm and there are days (like moving pigs or birthing goats or just setting fence posts) when we are filthy and our clothes come out of the washer smelling like they have been out on a washline in the sun.

Occasionally I add lavender and sandalwood oil to blankets or towels, but less and less as time goes by. I like the just 'clean' smell more at this point.

It is definitely homemade though. I stand at the stove to melt the soap, melt the powders, and give it an occasional blend with a stick blender. I've just started making goat milk soap so actual laundry bars and shampoo bars are in the works.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes, and yes.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Farmylady...that's how I make mine. I'm just wondering if my stuff isn't as clean as with the store-bought. I mean..it feels and looks clean, but doesn't smell as fresh as I think it should.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Borax, washing soda, Ivory soap and Baking Soda and a vinegar rinse- They smell great.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• What's the rinse? You just put it in instead of softener? Maybe that's my problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011