What can I do when my almost three year old throws his toys when he gets angry?

AMIsbell77

Asked by AMIsbell77 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think I'd take away his toys and put him in timeout.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ok. Thank you.
    AMIsbell77

Comment by AMIsbell77 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'd take the toy away and I would tell him> you have a right to be angry, but we don[t throw things when we are angry.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 1:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• take them away , and explain why briefly.

letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• you can take them away for a while, put him in time out or spank whatever you chose, but make sure he knows why eather way and dont give him whatever toy back for a up to the next morning. this also needs to be handled asap because they might get confused if the kid is playing good and then gets punshed for something that happened a while before that.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think a three year old is generally testing you to see how serious you are, and testing to see if they can get a rise out of you. Don't give them the satisfaction! Start the day with a sweet reminder that "toys are for playing, not throwing." State clearly that if a toy is thrown that toy will go away for the whole day. ( I agree, a day is about right. The toy then reappears in themorning, before any more throwing has happened.) Make a sweet game out of it, with a tickle and a smile, but be clear. Then, when the toy gets thrown, simply take it away, wihtout emotion. When the tantrum starts walk away. If your child clings, say gently "No." and walk away. This worked for us, but it has to be completely consistent to work. And I have to admit, there was one day when nearly an entire box of toys went bye-bye. It was pretty radical, and I was worried it would be like that forever. But after that ... it stopped completely.
    ellenoel

Answer by ellenoel at 9:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2011