What do I tell them?

Ok so my SO works on cars he has for 10+yrs. He knows almost everything there is to know.
My friend has been without a car for a couple months (because of her own stupidity) because ahe choose to fix one car instead of the other and it is taking a lot longer then it should because her husband is doing it and he knows nothing, well I told her i would try to ask my SO if he woul help but he says no because her husband has already gutted the car and because the job that needs to be done will take hours. He doesn't want to be held responsible if the car doesnt work because he took it apart not know how and could have ruined a part in the process. How do i tell her he said no without getting her mad at me. I told her not to count on it that I couldn't promise it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• Honesty works best for me. Tell her what he said. It's honest. It makes sense. My x and son are mechanics and they wouldn't do it either for the same reason. Her guy is the one who screwed it up. Let her be mad at him

Answer by admckenzie at 6:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well you are off to a good start since you told her not to count on it.

You can either tell her the truth, that he does not want any liability, or if you want to save face you can tell her that he does not have time for such a large job.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• He honest. Tell her your hubby doesnt want to work on the car bc hers took it apart and he doesnt want to be blamed if hes unable to fix it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'd be honest: your husband wasn't there to dissamble the car and he wouldn't feel comfortable putting it back together again. You can also say that if it didn't work out, you and DH don't want to lose the friendship.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 7:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'd be honest...his reason for saying no is completely legit, and if she takes offense to it, that's on her, not you. Plus, you did tell her you weren't promising, so it's not like you're changing your mind or anything. You asked; he said no.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008