I have a 9 week old and he doesn't look me in the eyes. When is this supposed to start happrning?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 6:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Children's eyes can move independently of each other for up to 4 months. Aside from that, at 9 weeks, they have only a very small distance that they can see well within. Hold him close to you and see if that doesn't make a difference. I think he can only focus for about 10 inches in front of his face at this age. It is nothing to worry about. Most of the time doctors don't really consider eye focus until about 4 months as that is when they can use the eyes together and also when they have the distance to see better. Hope that makes sense, I have the flu and am a little scatterbrained right now.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my friends daughter is 2 months and is going to specialist, because she is not looking at anyone. She doesn't focus, she doesn't follow objects. You can put your hand in front of her face and move it and she does not follow or look at it. I would just take your son in if you are worried .
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008