Falling asleep with baby in ur arms....

It is 3 am and I am on here bc I fell asleep with my 9 day old on my chest. He started crying so I got out of bed picked him up got back in bed and thinking he was hungry tried to feed him. Instead I fell asleep. He was laying flat on my chest and when I woke up his head was hanging off the side of the bed and his body was on me. When I woke up I started to panic. What if I had dropped him, what if I just hurt Jim really bad and what ifs just keep going through my mind. I woke up hubby bc I was really scared. I have done this also with my 2 previous children. But I am really scared. I can't sleep now. Bc I have to make sure he is alright. I want to call the doc. I just feel like a bad mother. I am scared to pick him up now.

CherBear2529

Asked by CherBear2529 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont worry....he is fine...u did nothing wrong i would breastfeed and fall asleep and wkae up with my son sucking again...maybe just lay a little more in the middle of the bed so he cant roll off
    mollysmom212

Answer by mollysmom212 at 2:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Babe the point is he DIDN'T fall off.  Nothing bad happened.  Use it as a learning experience.  You are a mama, you are tired.  Cut yourself some slack. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh honey you are not a bad mother. I think it happens to most of us :) I breastfed my daughter and would fall asleep with her feeding. When you have a new baby in your life, that happens. I agree with mollysmom212. Try to put a couple of pillows or blankets in the middle or on the side of the bed so he won't roll away.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 3:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have fallen asleep more than I care to say...but it happens! Please dont beat yourself up about it.
    Missefarm

Answer by Missefarm at 9:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• all new mamas have fallen alseep and if they say they havent then there lying!! Your fine! Go pick that baby up :) I always propped pillows around me at night just incase I did fall sleep(which happened many times) that way I wouldnt have to worry.
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• This don't make you a bad mother. I have fallen asleep with my kids when they where little. either sleep closer in the middle or get some pillows. Go pick that baby up.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I used to do it almost every night. My ds is now 3 months old and he's doing wonderful. Don't beat yourself up over it. BFing is literally draining but it gets easier.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 10:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thanks girls!! I added more pillows at feeding to the bed in case I do fall asleep.
    CherBear2529

Comment by CherBear2529 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2011