What do you think of this saying: "Barefoot and pregnant"?

Have you ever been referred to as this, or called yourself this?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hence the shower question, my feet being dirty, I am usually barefoot, lol.  I have 3 children and another on the way.  My hub often says "yep, barefoot and pregnant, that's the way to keep em".  It's a joke and we laugh about it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh yes, my DH used to say a wife ( me ) should be kept barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen . He tried, got me pregnant 3 months after we married .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have always loved being pregnant so if I could I would be "Barefoot and pregnant" all the time.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ahhh. The days. They were nice. I miss being barefoot and pregnant.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• when I was dating my husband, the first time he met my father he was driving a huge jacked up pick up truck, was wearing overalls with no shirt and a Skoal Bandit baseball cap. My dad about died and told me " get rid of him, you'll be barefoot and pregnant".
    I had no idea what he was saying, but my dad only had my best interests in mind.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i had a ex boyfriend who wanted me barefoot and pregnant . he hollered he wanted 13 kids i was like H*LL NO!!!
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm getting the gist of the saying due to people's responses, but I've never heard the term barefoot and pregnant. Is it a term for the idea a woman should stay home and bear/raise children?
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• ha ha ha this is a joke in our family too! One of my Aunts is from the south where this is common place and she was barefoot and prego for so many years she has 5 or 6 kids now.

Never took offense to it myself.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011