Soda and kids?

I do the continental breakfast at a local hotel in our town. A lady with her 2-3 year old came in. The kid holding and drinking a soda. The mom was asking him what he wanted to eat. He kept drinking the soda and saying he did not want anything to eat.

I want so badly to tell her. "If you wouldn't let him drink soda or any sweet stuff before meals he would want to eat." But I can't say that at work. 

What do you think?

Asked by louise2 at 5:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• seriously jaxon isn't having soda until he is well old enough to understand how to brush his teeth properly and to not abuse the soda factor
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Even if the kid wasn't drinking soda she would probably feed him junk. I don't think soda is good for any of us, young or old. I'm trying to get off of it myself.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I let my 3 yr. Old drink non-caffeinated soda sometimes. She still has an appetite and if she has a soda she's not allowed to have any other junk food. I also carry pre wrapped sliced apples for her to munch on, so she doesn't get whiny and start asking for fast food, so there could be other reasons he didn't want to eat.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 6:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's not something I ever gave to my kids at that young age.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think you need to butt out of other people's parenting.

Unless it's got arsenic written on the bottle, a soda is not going to kill a child. The kid could have been ill last night, maybe a fever. I don't want to eat when i'm ill.
    Maybe the kid just isn't hungry, do you eat every single meal?
    Maybe the kid only just got up, and won't eat for 1/2 an hour or so.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Piskie, Did you read what I said? You must not have.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure there's much you can do in that situation other than to just shake your head. My kids are 20 - 10 and we've always stayed away from sugar whenever possible, and they very rarely will have any soda. Mine wll have water or coffee that's about all they ever drink.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011