Doctor says its okay that my son is constipated?!?!?

When my son was about 4 months old, my husband and I would be up at 3 in the morning helping our son dispel poop as hard and large as garden pebbles, and the doctor was not concerned, WIC helped me out and tried different formulas until we found the right one. Now he is 13 months old and having the same poopy problems! I am sick of doctors telling me that I am just an over worried parent, but when my son is pooping and bleeding in the process... I get ticked that they won't do anything. Is anyone a military mom that knows who I contact to get someone to examine him aside from his assigned physician?? I have changed his food, given him childrens laxatives and stool softeners and nothing is working. Should I fight up the ranks at the military hospital or keep changing his diet?

MommyMichell925

Asked by MommyMichell925 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried prunes?? Either in food form or juice?? Apple juice can be given, but dilute it. If it's the formula go soy. Too much iron could be part of the problem so don't use formula with extra iron added.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• babies that are givin formula tend to have this problem more often. have you switched to cows milk? have him stay away from cheese. try yogurt. call tricare and tell them the deal and have a referral to another doc or when you make the appointment tell them you want to see another doc and ask for a referral to a specialist most likely a gastroenterologist. you may want to test for celiac although the most common symptom is diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, and bloating it can also cause constipation. it's a simple blood test. good luck.
    nikkib4407

Answer by nikkib4407 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would be pissy with the Doctors, too. If your son is pushing so hard and bleeding, it is going to hurt. If it hurts to poop, he is going to stop trying and get all kinds of backed up and this in not good. I don't know anything about the military situation but I would take him to a different pediatrician.

My son went thru a similar situation and I took him to a naturapathic doctor. She suggested giving him probiotics. They help the balance in his tummy. She also suggested staying away from too much wheat and increasing his liquid intake as much as possible. I try to give him water instead of juice. My son only had this problem for about two or three weeks but when it started he would just scream when he tried to poop.

Good Luck and I would fight the ranks to see a different doctor. It shouldn't be painful for your baby to poop.
    kdbug813

Answer by kdbug813 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i used karo syup in my sons bottle when he was lil to help grease up the poop and it helped alot... not alot of syup just a lil mixed in the milk, dark Karo btw.... maybe try that and see how he poops and more fruits like apples and prunes will help loosen him up.... GL
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my dh is a marine and my son has the same problem(it comes and goes) if you are seen on base contact the patient advocate and go to tricare or call them and switch his doctor or if you go out in town go or call tricare and change doctors good luck with everything!! and stand your ground with the hospital/doctors!!!
    torimichael2002

Answer by torimichael2002 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• is he off formula and onto whole milk? my dr recommended my daughter get off formula and onto whole milk when she was 11 months old. anyways, are you changing his diet? no cheese, no bread etc loooots of fruits like pears, etc. pureed baby prunes always got my daughter going again so i could never give it to her if we had to leave the house because i would get a humdinger poop. i would fight it at the military hospital or change to a civillian doctor. i had a situation while pregnant that the military hospital endangered me and the baby so i refuse to be seen by anyone military ever again. my husbands commander actually had me write out what was going on with my crappy doctor and he took it to the head of the hospital because he HATED the hospital for its crappiness. good luck
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 8:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• if you do end up changing to a civillian doctor, on the sheet when tricare asks you why you changed put something like "because the so and so hospital is incompetent". i put something like that as well as other harsh things just so tricare was aware of it.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 8:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I've been there - holding a terrified, screaming child for hours on end while they fight to poop and not getting any help or understanding. Here's what ended up helping us:

No more than 20 ounces of dairy in a day. That's milk, cheese, any dairy.
    Drop rice and bananas from his diet.
    All (or most) bread items are whole wheat. Did you know they make whole wheat fig newtons and goldfish?

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• A half dose of Miralax once a day. This was the final magic bullet for us.

Miralax is NOT a laxative and it is not a drug. It does not make him go (which can cause even more pain). It acts like a big sponge - trapping water in the poop. No matter how long it takes for him to go, the poop will not get hard.
    You'll have to adjust the dose a little to find the right amount for him. My daughter gets slightly less than a half dose each day - just over 2 teaspoons.
    You do NOT give this too him only he is constipated and then stop. You give it each and every day. 6 months from now, try dropping it for 2 days. Does the constipation come back? Start giving it again. You may end up giving it to him for years, my pediatrician says that's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• And I agree with some of the other posters - SWITCH doctors.

As an Army brat myself, I can tell you that the Army docs might be great - for adults and especially men. But when it comes to kids?!?!? No way.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008