Can anyone advise re Autism - my son (8 yrs) was potty trained at 4 but now he has regressed? and has become incontinent at night and sometimes during the day...the experts say that it may be a "physical problem" and to get a blood test - but I am convinced it is pychological and his need to have rituals, patterns of behaviour. Can anyone advise?

susieq1961

Asked by susieq1961 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went through this with my son about a year ago. he is 7 and in the spectrum. After testing it was discovered that he had an immature bladder. Common in children in the spectrum. It was overactive so was causing night wetting , day accidents etc. he takes a single pill a day that calms it. and i was told he will outgrow it in time. the only other thing i can think of is that your child feels like nothing in his life is in his control. the one thing he can control is his bodily functions to a degree. so if there has been some change lately in his life? schedule, a person, a place maybe he is trying to exert control to feel more secure.

m3rryweather

Answer by m3rryweather at 7:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thank you for your reply!
    susieq1961

Comment by susieq1961 (original poster) at 7:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would at least give the physical reason theory a try. It could be something as simple as what the first poster wrote, and one medication could bring all the help you need. If you find no physical problem, take a look at events that occur directly before the accidents. (during the day) Is the same person always in charge when he has an accident? Is it the same time of day? Does it always happen at school, or at home? Does it occur after a meal? It may be his way of expressing discontent with a new change in his life, and the change might be small enough that to him its a big deal, but to others it goes unnoticed. But I would rule out physical reasons first, they're (more then likely) going to be easier to figure out. Good luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No idea but I think the others before made good points about having it checked. Good luck.
    KellyOh72

Answer by KellyOh72 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011