Does your Hubby, bf, or other half make enough for you to stay home?

I was off work from Oct-Feb due to dr.s orders. I am waitress in retirement facility and whole right arm hurt due to holding a tray. I was able to get disability for the time i was off work which helped. I have worked since i was 17, and aside from being on welfare for about 5 years before the kids were born, I actually liked being home again. My kids are tennagers now and it was nice to see them at their daily rountines for school and when they got home! I really want to stay home, but don't want to work. I'm riding the fence here......The money i make is enough for bills and food and the kids needs but Hubby pays for the rest. Does anybody have any suggestions for me to work at home and still make the needs for bills, food, and teens??

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 7:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dh makes enough for me to stay home and has the whole time we have been together (aside from when we were dating some of it was long distance so I had to work). I am probably going to go back to work simply because 3 of my kids are teens or young adults and I want to help them as much as I can with their car insurance payments, and other things like prom, and what not. I know you can make money if you can get certified by the state for child care. I have thought about it myself. You can then be put on their list and the state pays you directly for those who need child care assistance. My ex mil did this and made a decent living.

I think I found a job myself working for the probation dept, so no daycare for me, but if you want to stay home its a legit way to do it and make money.

Answer by gemgem at 7:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• ~*Yes*~... it has been an absolute blessing to be a SAHM, and I truly enjoy my position and life!!!

There are big businesses like Creative memories, Pampered Chef, Avon, Mary Kay, Amway, and so forth that allow you to work from home... and I love listenning to KSTE 650AM from time to time and that Dr. Luara lady (heard she is going off air) suggests workathome.com (leery because it refers you to other websites)... Clark Howard has a section on his site that allows you to do so as well
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• he does..he makes enough to pay for the house and all the utilities. i work though because i have "wants"...we are trying for a baby though and when i do become pregnant i will not be working towards the end of my pregnancy or after..when i do go back it will be much less than what i work now..i only work 24 hours a week now.. probably just 2 days a week or something after we have a baby.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My dh's income has done well by us for years. That said, there are things we go without and we're not getting rid of old debt as fast as we'd like. To ease that, I started a home business (direct sales). It gives me the flexibility to be home with my toddler but still get out of the house and earn a little. :)

Hope your arm is feeling a lot better!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• ~*Daycare*~... Here in California they pass out day care licenses like crazy, but that is an option... and can get it through "Child Action", where they also list you up for those looking for a sitter
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I've been a SAHM since my oldest was about 3 months old- I just couldn't stand it that I wasn't there with her, seeing all her firsts and being the one to feed her and care for her. It was very hard at times, but it has only gotten easier. I've learned over time what I can cut out and how to stretch the grocery money. Sure, I don't have new clothes every week or two, I can't afford to get my hair done all the time, and we don't have a ton of extras, but the most important thing is covered- I'm home with the babies!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes I've been a sahm for about 2 1/2 yrs now and I love it.
    My hubby is the store manager at a grocery store and makes really good money.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• yes i have been a sahm for 7 years and have been very lucky i can
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Technically, yes. BUT we like to do things like a carribbean vacation each year and remodel the house. That requires that I work.

I don't mind so much but when we have the next baby, I would like to be home.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011