Is it wrong to have such a bleak outlook on the future?

Last month I found out my husband has diabetes. Last month we also found out his liver emzymes are high in his blood and he loss his job after 3 family members died (0ne sucide, one rectal cancer and on SIDS). He went for the abdominal ultrasound before his insurance was cut off to find out he has a fatty liver. He has to pay for the diabetes medication out of pocket, which is putting us in a finacial strain because he has no job. Lately, he has been complaining about numb fingertips and shooting pains in his left arm and total numbing in his left side. He refuses to go to the hospital because he doesn't have the insurance for it. He goes to sleep when ever he gets the shooting pain or numbness- daily. It kind of depresses me but am I about to be a widow soon?

janel09

Asked by janel09 at 7:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• Ask the doctor who prescribed the diabetes meds if there is any assistance of any kind you can apply for with that. Many drug companies have such plans. You also can contact the drug manufacturer. The same applies to getting help for the other symptoms. Ask if you can be put on a payment plan. Ask at the doctor's or the ER for any assistance that is out there. You and he have to become his best advocate. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I understand how hard life can be. I think you need to think positive. See if there is a way he can get on state insurance for right now becuase he doesn't have a job. Ask your friends and family for help to keep you positive. THis past summer my DD had a seizure for the first time, it was big bad and scary.. She ended up in a coma and they told us "We don't know what is wrong with her and we aren't even sure she will live." After crying for a couple hours I looked down at her and said "You are not going to die, we will get through this." After 2 months in the hospital she got better, although she did have a relasp at Thanksgiving and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. It has not been easy, although I know there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Some days I see it and some I don't.

Many people prayed for us and I do believe that helped as well. Good Luck and I will pray for you!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well thats up to you and him. There are alot of agencies out there who can probably help with the medication. I know last year when my dh wasnt working and his insurance was cancelled I had to go find medical help for myself because I have ongoing medical issues that require me to take medication year round. I found alot of medicines were available from the company for those who were low income and I signed up for all of those programs and was approved for them. I am sure you guys can look into them as well. Look at the manufacturer of the drugs and supplies he uses and go to their site and look for help for low income, or contact info and call and ask. You can also call social services and ask for a list to health care providers who go based on income. The hospital usually has a fund to help with low income as well. But you need to get him to the hospital either way. There is help out there.

Answer by gemgem at 8:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's very difficult to process health challenges like the ones that your husband is going through. Truth is, and this is terrifying, any single one of us could be a widow any day for any number of reasons. We do not know what is going to happen. When my Dad was diagnosed with diabetes, my mother went to psychics and started to live her life believing that my father would die...very soon. She lived in a sort of suspended animation, planning things that she would do after my father's death and doing nothing in the present because she was waiting. That was probably 25 years ago. My Dad has had his challenges but he's still with us. My mother died 7 years ago.

My advice, don't anticipate the bad stuff because it could very well stop you from living.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I appreciate the advice. I do know some pharmacies that have the $4 month perscription that he can use. I guess I should have explained... He's very very very stubborn. When he had the shooting pains, that was before we knew his insurance was cut. I continuously ask him to go to ER or urgent care because those are symptoms of a heart attack. He doesn't want to listen to me. He feels he can sleep it off and in the morning he will be better. That hasn't happen yet and it's been 3 weeks. It's stressing me out.
    janel09

Comment by janel09 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011