Do you think this is acceptable discipline?

I was highly angry when I found out that my 2yr old DD's dad disciplines her by making her stand in a corner, and hold her arms up in the air when she doesn't ''obey'' .... for GOD'S SAKE SHE'S TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to beat him myself! I would love to call this child abuse, but I am almost 100% sure it's not. He cusses at my DD, calls her a ''little bitch'', which I know is C.A. but I have no proof to show in court...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• putting her in the corner is fine but i don't understand the hands in the air thing? the name calling is abuse but not sure how u could prove it. good luck
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Omg the poor girl. her arms in the air is much and calling her names is really bad :( i knew some people that wold put the foster kids in the corner for hours and if they moved they had to go on their tippy toes. and then they would allow them in their rooms for 5 minutes to clean it and 10 minutes to play but if you got ill you were made to stay up. I was one of the foster kids. i hated it there. They finally lost their license to be foster parents. i feel sorry for the twins they adopted but i am sure those twins are grown now.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i think it is abuse in some kind of form. time out okay but to stand in a corner with their arms in the air no. my mother did this to my kids when she was watching them one day. they were lil and being too loud for her liking so she made them run up and down the hallway with their arms up screaming as loud as they could. yes my mother is a little off. unfortunately my kids did not tell me this til they were much older cuz they knew what i would have done. sorry your' going through this i hope you find an answer
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My ex used to do something similar and when he was reported to cps they told him it was improper discipline. They documented it and I had that to show in court. He didnt get in trouble, just told not to do it again. I got a copy of the safety report that had that on it and took it to my lawyer.

Answer by gemgem at 8:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• standing in the corner is not abuse, but hands in the air what the heck is that going to do but cause are tiredness???? And swearing at her um no...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well, I certainly wouldn't leave my kid(s) with such a man. He sounds emotionally and mentally weak and unbalanced. What does he imagine his treatment will teach your DD? To respect and honor him? No way. To ultimately feel contempt for her own father. Name calling and the arms being kept up is ridiculous as well as hideous. She can only 'fail' over and over again in his eyes with such high standards set for her behavior.

My advice is leave her with him as little as possible and preferrably never alone. Mark my words, his treatment of your DD will get worse. At this tender age she's refining her essential character and her overall sense of self worth and pride. Very saddening.
    mauve

Answer by mauve at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think that you should call CPS and ask them what you do.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The standing in the corner I understand I did it to my kids at that age, but the arm thing I don't understand. The cussing at her is abuse.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's not the means of discipline that I would use nor is it the means my husband would have ever used. I will give the man this much--he is concerned with teaching his child the importance of obedience and respect for his authority, and that is a very good thing. Two-year olds are quite capable of understanding the concept of obedience and this man has recognized that fact. If I were you, I would talk directly to him and I would start my conversation with this positive note. I would then see if the two of you could not come to some understanding of a method of discipline that you could both use and be comfortable with, since that is what would be in the best interest of the child. It might help you to remember that she had no choice in who are father would be, but you did, and this is the man you chose to be her daddy. So, it is logical that you could also choose to work with him to achieve what is best for her now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No it is not!

Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011