What is with kids these days?

my daughter is looking for an apartment we went and looked at one yesterday actually its the first and only one she has looked at and she put in an applicatioin for it. now she works part time at a minimum wage job. she is going to town today to join a gym hmmmmmmm how does she think she is goin to have enough money for apartment,utilities,food,her cell phone and a gym? i tried to explain this to her and she just wont listen. kids are so naive these days.

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• She will learn, she needs to make her own mistakes and learn from them. One day, she will look back and say "Mom was right!" I do it all the time!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• idk but when you figure it out can you let me in on it? My oldest is almost 22 and she does the same stuff, so does my 18 yr old. He went and got a 2 yr cell phone plan and doesnt have a job. I asked him then just how do you plan to pay it? He said its no different then pay as you go. I was dumbfounded. Well a month later his phone was turned off, and who did he come to asking for money? Oh yeah.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's just not kids these days...it's teenagers and young adults in general. Of course they don't have any concept of it because as parents it is our job to raise them and make sure they don't stress out about money stuff. I remember being that age, and how hard it was because I didn't listen to the adults in my life. My 13 year old son will sit with me and watch me pay the bills so that he realizes a paycheck doesn't go that far. I started doing this with him when he made the comment "Gee mom your rich" and I thought Oh no....we aren't going to go this route. He understands money more now and he understands when I say we can't afford that, that I'm not being mean....he's also said he's living with me forever (so that's probably the down side LMBO). They will get the awakening they need...they think they know it all, and they have to learn on there own. Good Luck though I know how frustrating it can be.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Sit her down and teach her what a budget is. List all her monthly expenses and what the new ones will be. Then take a look at her monthly income. See if the numbers show she can, or can not, make it on her own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• She will definitely realize it when it comes time to pay the bills! I'd definitely sit her down and get her to do a budget with me. Once she sees where all the money is going to go, she'll realize she doesn't want to move out at all! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• loving no no no i want her to move out lol im trying to encourage this but she just isnt getting the whole you have to pay to live thing she thinks this is going to be all fun and wow what a surprise she is going to get.
    jodi205

Comment by jodi205 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It will be a surprise, but she has to do this on her own. All you can do is support her and be there when she needs you to.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2011