16 yr old on diet

My 16 yr old girl wants to try the HCG 40 day diet featured on dr ozie yesterday any body ever do it she needs to lose about 25 pounds Its consists of drops in mouth and i think 500 calories a day

suesues

Asked by suesues at 8:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Did you see the show? It is a very dangerous diet and Dr. Oz even said it needs a lot more study. She is too young to do this. She is still growing and needs calories to keep growing and have proper brain development. Get her involved with exercise. You two could even take walks together, etc. And look at weight charts, online, to see if she really needs to lose any weight. Guide her closely so she does not become at risk for weight loss health problems.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And review with her what she is eating. Take out all the junk and make sure she is drinking enough water.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• IMHO I would have her do it naturally. These drops haven't been on the market long enough to make sure that there are no long term side effects. I remember when Stacker 3's had ephedra in them and everyone raved about how well they worked (and they did, they worked excellent in MO) but later found out that it was doing damage to the heart. She's 16 so that's old enough to join a gym, a local ymca, or just put some music in her ears and start walking, and watching what she eats. Zumba is fun too so maybe you could find a local center that offers it to the public. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No I wouldnt allow something like that. First of all she needs more then 500 calories a day. She is still a kid even if shes a teen and they burn more calories then adults do. At 16 when I needed to lose weight I just watched what I ate and exercised. When my oldest dd was 16-17 and wanted to lose weight the doctor told us thats all she needed to do too. If your dd needs to lose weight then enroll her in some form of aerobics, and put her on a healthy diet (salads, apples, white meat, low carbs etc). She will lose weight that way and keep it off.
    Crash diets also work short term. My best friends dad is a doctor and he told us any weight you lose on these programs comes back 3 fold. You gain 3 lbs back for every pound you lose on average bc your body thinks you are starving.

Answer by gemgem at 8:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If she wants to lose, I would get her a healthy diet book to show her how to eat healthy....Or perhaps take her to weight watchers..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If she doesnt want to eat more than 500 calories a day that you cant make her eat more. I would be cautious about the drops though...I definately would consider offering to buy healthier food and a gym membership for her or buying her diet meals. She doesnt really have to count calories if she is working out and eating right.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not healthy!! Far better to eat healthy and exercise than to limit so severely the calories. A 16 year old girl is still growing, still developing and does NOT need go do EVER do that kind of diet.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't let my daughter do that. Try Weight Watchers.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would NOT allow it. NO child should be dieting without doctor supervision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011