Are you a helicopter parent?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I try not to be. I know I can be sometimes, but I really try to let him fall sometimes, and make mistakes. My son is only 2, so I keep a close eye on him at the park and such, but he gets plenty of independent play time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Nope. I am there for my kids to help them and guide them but there comes a time when you have to allow them to do things on their own and handle their own problems. By the time a child is 10 yrs old they should be able to do simple things on their own because they are more then half grown. If a problem arises lets say in my 17 yr olds life at school I tell him to take care of it, if he cannot and has exhausted all roads then I will help him. I wont however call his friends parent and complain about their child over an argument the day it happens. I wont go to the school and argue with a teacher over a grade until he has tried to bring it up or spoken to them about how to resolve it himself. I let him do some of those things on his own. He has to know how in order to survive in the real world.

Answer by gemgem at 8:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No. I'm more of a free range kind of mom. I believe in letting my kids make mistakes (within reason) and feeling the consequences. I think life is a really strong teacher. Of course I keep an eye on them, but I let them take acceptable risks at the playground and I definitely don't hover over them every second.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes:(
    I know I suck.....working on it though!
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes! You only get to be a Mom of little ones for just a short time, then they are older, more independent or on their own, you hope they are careful and safe & make the right choices for their whole lives. That's nature. This "Helicopter Mom" notion is a new trend. I wonder if it is just to justify many Mother's today being too into themselves. Look at all the Mom's Texting on the playground when they should be watching their little ones.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• EXACTLY ILOVE!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• nope!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am with I love my paulie...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No. I work at hard at not being a helicopter parent. It doesn't mean I don't spend time with my child. Good God I love my child and we have such fun together. It is common sense to make sure you give your child age appropriate opportunities and my rule of thumb is to never do things for my son he can do himself. I do not want to diminish his power and confidence. I am well aware when a kid takes his toy in the sandbox. I just don't feel the need to hover and swoop in to save the day. I want to see how my four year old handles this. Would I swoop in for a one year old who had a kid sit on him in the sandbox? Sure, if the kids was older. It is not about not being with your child or not providing an appropriately safe environment. It is trusting in your child's ability to resolve and learn to resolve many situations. For that child to learn to navigate the world. You're right, they grow up so fast.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• So when they reach that stage of total independence, I hope that I have loved my child enough to provide him with the opportunities to learn how to navigate this world successfully without me having to hover over him through college, his relationships, his children, ect...He will be confident and competent.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011