3 week old eating pattern

I am new to breast feeding. I did not get to with my daughter...no milk. Now with my son I am trying desperatly to. But things are not going well. He will want to nurse all day and then not so much at night. So it seems that I run out of milk for him during the day and then at night I end up getting engorged. I guess my question is how can i get him on a eating pattern and if and when should I pump. Did anyof you mom's just pump? And did it effect your milk supply? I am also a heavy smoker...could that be causing a lot of the problems. Please no mean comments about smoking...I have been trying to quit for years and just can't do it!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, I would take this question to the Breastfeeding Group because they have a wealth of knowledge and are a great support. Secondly, right now, your baby is so young, you're just going to have to go with the flow (no pun intended lol). How do you know you're running out of milk? As long as your baby is making 6-8 wet diapers in a 24 hour period, he is getting enough. Secondly, pumping should increase your supply. Everytime you nurse or pump, you're basically telling your body to make more milk. It will take a few weeks for your baby and your body to get on the same pattern. When my daughter was a newborn, her longest stretch of sleeping was from 8 to midnight (give or take), and I would go to bed so engorged that I would pump right before bed. It gave me a nice little freezer stash. Just keep offering the breast and nurse every chance you get. In about 3 more weeks, he'll start to regulate a little bit more
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Pump the milk at night .
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You're doing fine and he's normal. COUNT DIPES.. 6-8 changes daily means he's getting plenty.

You already know you need to quit smoking. That's your main task, besides not changing anything if the dipes are good. HE will make the needed changes.

Good luck on quitting!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Never never never give a bottle before nursing. If you're going to pump, freeze it for a time you're not around.

But all you report is normal for this stage. I wouldn't bother to pump except for relief.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thank you so much for the posts. I feel better already!!!! And yes I know that i need to quit smoking...I am going to get the e-cig with zero nicotine. Doc says that it is o.k. to use. So wish me luck!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You are not empty during the day, it is just being drank. As the weeks continue you will be less engorged at night, but for now pump it out and freeze it, so you can have a night out without having to worry about food. Try not to have let down, I never did when pumping, but I did find it helpful to pump first thing then nurse my child to have storage, this would cause me to be engorged when I woke up. You have a plan for smoking, also keep the stress down, and ensure you are drinking enough.
    And consider your self lucky your son is sleepy at night and eating during the day and he will mostly grow nice and fast and big and be a gorgeous fat baby.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• you could pump and give bottle of bmilk and breast as well
    i think my lo wasn't on an eating schedule until he was 4 mos or so
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011