What works for you dealing with a drama queen?

What do you do to help your dd stop being a drama queen I mean this girl cries for EVERYTHING!!! I did not teach her this I do not spoil her I let her know what I want from her and yes we do have cuddle time but I don't baby her.
Help ladies...Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I tell her she is being a drama queen, that it's not that big of a deal & that no one likes drama.....so quit. My DD is 9 & i tell her this all the time, she has become less Dramatic. She even talks about the kids at school & how dramatic THEY are & how she doesn't want to be that way. So, she tries to not be dramatic. But, she is emotional.....and if she is grumpy...yeah, her drama queen can show. I think most teens are this way, I'm sure we were too.....but it's easy to forget.

Things are a big deal to teen's, because they have not experienced enough of life to REALLY know what a "BIG DEAL" is. Once they start getting older, and experience more of life's harsh realities, they usually stop being so dramatic about the small stuff. Life should humble them at some point.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• MHO..... Make sure that there isn't a reason for her crying like that, sometimes kids have emotions and they have no idea how to let them out or even why they feel the way they do. Maybe try to give her some quiet time until she calms down and then explain to her why that behavior is unacceptable to you. Make sure whatever it was she was crying over (if it was something she wanted, she wanted to do, or whatever) that she doesn't get it that day. That way she can see the consequences of acting like that.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• HA!!, mine is 12 going on 20~~!, plain and simple! TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!,,, they are not 2 year olds any more! GROW UP KID!, act your age!, i take evrything away and she can sit in her room with nothing till she smartens up, it works!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have a 23 yr. old one. When you find another answer to this, please pass the information on. I just have to distance myself and ignore it the best I could for my own health's sake. Good luck!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Walking out the door for dinner with my friends usually does the trick!

My drama tween is 10 and she has the entire rolley-eyed, "whatever" nonsense down pat. It's annoying but I have to remind myself that I was this dramatic over Duran Duran members getting married and not being able to dye my hair black until I was 13.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 11:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• From what I'm seeing on the posts here, sounds like you're fighting a loosing battle. If that's the way she is, then that's the way she is. You can't change her. I could get better over time, but she'll still be herself.

heck, I'm 40 and I'm still called a drama queen. By those that are far worse IMO, but what the heck.
    Anonymous

• My mom always told me and my sister she doesn't mind spoiling us but if we start acting like spoiled brats we could forget getting a thing!
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Tween/teen girls are more emotional as their homones change.

Remain calm. Give her eye contact and listen.

Sometimes the drama gets pumped up to get attention or to make the situation seem more serious.

Just try to listen with your full attention, empathsize and feed back what you heard her say.

If the drama continues (screaming, heavy crying) pretend like you can't understand what she is saying....she may calm down enough to make sure you can understand what she is saying.

See some tips on tweens/tips  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My daughter who isn't at all a drama queen now was starting to become one when she was younger. When she'd cry or act drama-filled over something minor I'd tell her to go to a quiet place and pull herself together and that when she was ready to discuss what was bothering her calmly, we'd talk. If she wouldn't remove herself, I'd leave the room.
    cege

Answer by cege at 11:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you don't want it to happen, then it shouldn't happen. Ignore her when she begins acting like a drama queen. She'll eventually realize that you mean business and hopefully she'll stop!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011