Continue to try or leave alone--ADDED INFORMATION

Just so everyone knows I am not getting upset about this am just wondering if I should keep trying or just let it go.  I don't have any friends or acquaintances and my family has pretty much disowned me also so when she started talking and getting in contact with me I thought it was great.

I found a elementary school friend on Facebook and friended her she accepted and we started talking and would talk every day on Facebook or send each other some type of message it went on for about month and a half to two months; I sent her a Christmas card and got no response; have sent her messages about once a week and nothing; sent her a Valentine's Card and no response--I wasn't expecting anything in return; I don't send things to people expecting things in return; just thought it was odd.

Then a couple weeks ago got this message from her--"Sorry, I haven't gotten with you. Most of the time, I'm just exhausted. I haven't had a 2 day weekend in a month. and for my one day off I've either driven to Illinois or up north for one day with my kids and boyfriend. We are trying to buy a house in Greenville. My very own house. I'm afraid to even talk about it because I've lost so much before. Your mom would be so proud of you. I am so proud of you. Love ya"

We were best friends and inseparable from kindergarten through fifth grade when she moved and we lost contact with each other.

My question is would you continue to stay in contact with her and send her messages or would you just leave it alone.

It hurts tremendously because we were so close and when she started contacting me back she acted like there was never any time between us that we weren't in contact with each other. I don't treat people this way and it hurts to be treated like this.

Just wondering what you would do. Please no bashing or negative remarks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Stay at arms length,i know ,been there.Hope it helps to know that folks are not the same as way back then.Drop her a line,but stay at arms length please.I got hurt,don't you do the same.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would just give it some time for a little bit and every so often just send her a message just so she knows your thinking of her still, it may hurt to get no response for awhile but she will know your intentions are good.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It just sounds like she is busy and has alot going on, I would still be her friend but i wouldn't get upset about it.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes, i would stay in contact. Never send someone a card with the expectation of getting some kind thank you. You will be disappointed, as lots of people just aren't into the card thing.

Life is busy for people & she let you know that. She pretty much told you that she is super busy & not to be offended if she has not reached out. Maybe stop sending her so many cards (i don't get cards for valentines from friends) and just send her a facebook message once every few weeks. You certainly do not have to send cards & email every day to keep a friendship.

Sometimes i get no response from friends, i don't take it personally because people are busy & sometimes people just forget to reply. It's really not a big deal.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would just leave a hello message from time to time to say thinking of you. Then to me she has to meet you half way. Any friendship is a two way street and not the work of just one. Yes, sometimes live can be hard and people do get busy but does not take long to call or type a hello or thinking of you note. I came on here the other day looking for some new people and did find since some of my friends do come and go. Just hang in there if she is a real friend but in the mean time try to find some ones just in case. I am sure she will come back around just say hello from time to time. also if married might be the husband and not her since have seen that as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 9:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Stay with her, she may need a friend in the future.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• She did contact you and disclosed her situation. I would continue to be friends and to drop her a line here and there. She does sound busy and you've said you don't expect anything in return so continue with that attitude. It sounds, however, like you are getting upset about it, even though you say you aren't. If you want to keep the relationship going, give her a little time, and don't give up.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 10:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2011