Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Legal problem

My husband lived in Massachusetts when he was 21 or so he moved to Utah because thats where his mom and most of his siblings went. He moved to Utah because he got into trouble with the law,he says he had some drugs on him and he had a dui,I'm not sure what else he has on him,however this is like 30+ yrs later and they haven't dropped the charges. He can't get a license here in Utah now because of the charges back east we dont have any cash to send them and I'm not sure what they're gonna do to my husband. I thought their was a statue of limitations on stuff like this. I'm so mad at him for screwing up I mean why didnt he just face the charges and get it over with instead of running it was a dumb move on his part, of course he sees that now that he's older 56 what can I do


Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • He needs to talk to a criminal attorney in MA. You can do it over the phone, you may have to pay....but it would be well worth it.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Honestly, he's going to have to pay and face whatever they have on him, and he'll be lucky to not get a charge of running. Sounds like it is time to face the music and for him to own up to his past mistakes.

    Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Call the DA in the county where he has the warrant and ask them what you have to do in order to take care of this. There is statute of limitation on misdeamnors in most states, but not felonies. You need to find out what the charge was exactly. If its a ticket then you have to pay it and theyll drop it. If its a felony then he has to go to court and face the music. Since it was so long ago I would have him go there and turn himself in and say he didnt know he was even wanted.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • All he can do is turn himself in and see what happens. If he decides to do so, make sure he leaves all his personal possesions home.'

    Answer by Stefono at 9:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Also seek legal advise first and find out if there is someone in your community that may do a case pro-bono.If they have the time and need the experiance , you never know can't hurt to try.

    Answer by Stefono at 9:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • another thing is he might have a job out of the country for 6 months to a year and he is gonna need a passport. Can you get a passport if your in trouble with the law and have warrants? Awhile back my husband adopted my son and in order to do that you can't have any legal problems,so we he got checked out and it came back fine records said he had nothing on him. SO I don't understand why this is happening. He can't get renew his license now because of the new law. And he has to work he owns his own business.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Call a lawyer, if you need an affordable who wont work for the state but for you contact me, I do legal insurance enrollments.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Go back face the music and move on.He knew this and no there is no limitations on crimes, no matter how old you are.Tell him its time to man up and take responsibility for his problems so you can move on.they will get him sooner or later.Possibly you too for harboring a fugitive dear.Not good to hear but the truth never is.

    Answer by grismelda at 11:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • I work with a DUI counselor and thus many courts. No, he needs to call the DOT (Dept. of Transportation) in MA. Tell them that he moved before he was able to get things resolved and ask them what he needs to do. If he did have a drug charge, he needs to call the court where he got arrested. Tell them the same thing. They will tell him what he needs to do to get things resolved. Most states have a statute of limitations. For example, KY and IN, after 5 years, the charges are dropped. However, IL is another story. Good luck.


    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011