What would you take?

I have had a sinus infection for about a week I don't want to take anything unnecessary but this sinus infection is killing me. Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• saltwater sinus irrigation. google it and get a neti pot or use a large nasal bulb syringe. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You may need antibiotics. I also try to avoid "drugs" as much as possible, but sometimes they are necessary.

My kids had really bad colds a while back, that lead to sinus infections. After a week of using the sinus rinse daily, and taking extra supplements, my DD's infection cleared up, but my son's got worse. So much so that the had high fevers and some blood in his already discolored nasal mucus. The Dr suggested taking a generic "mucus thinner" (guaifenesin); so he tried that for 4 or 5 days...still had fever and gray-green mucus. The second Dr gave him an antibiotic. He was better the next day, and symptom-free in 3 days. (He did finish the full 10 day course of antibiotic, of course.)

Sudafed and ibuprofen work well at helping you feel better, but they only treat symptoms; they don't help your immune system fight the infection (viral or bacterial), which is the cause of the symptoms. Hope this helps. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011