What do you think when you find out someone had to have all thier teeth pulled?

I ask this because i had to have mine done for health reasons from getting very sick because when i was pregnant my kids both took alot of calcium from me and they just became very weak and were breaking. and i know alot of people think you are a freak or that you must have been a druggie or think that you are just trash. I do have dentures now and was wondering what you think if you see someone without teeth. because i had to go for over 3 months without any.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• I would think that the person just got a bad dose of genetics when it came to their teeth. My sister has terrible tooth problems for no other reason than she got the crappy tooth gene. MY other sister & I have good teeth and we all ate the same thing and went to the dentist together. I feel so bad you had to go through that but it is much healthier for you now & that is what is important. Who cares what other people think?? It's your body! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh, goodness. I think I am following you. Every time I get pregnant my teeth get worse and worse. This last time was horrible and they continued to get worse and break as I nursed. I so need to go to the dentist. To answer your question, I don't think much of it. Like you, my dad also had all his teeth removed for medical reasons. He has had dentures since his early 20s. I think knowing that growing up it has taught me not to even think about someone not having teeth as an issue. Just like anything else, you never know the whole story.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• one of our missions in a church we were part of in AL was to provide free dental work for women of domestic abuse. Often they were poor and literally had their teeth knocked out. Making going out in public harder and seeking a job almost impossible. Once they got new teeth, their whole outlook changed and were able to leave abusive relationships and be self supporting.
    I'm glad you were able to get new teeth, teeth are very important in how one sees themself.
    I usually just wonder what kind of support system does that person have.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ouch, I'm sorry =( I would never think poorly of someone for that.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think...."man..thats going to be me one day..i better start saving for my dentures now"
    Hey..don't feel bad or ashamed about your teeth.I know eventually, I will be there too. I've had several teeth pulled and I'm not a druggie or trash. I had perfect teeth..no cavities or anything..until after I had my first child. And now after having 3 and breastfeeding..I've given them the best part of my nutrition I guess.
    Stuff happens, ya know.Some people get in car wrecks and thier teeth get knocked out.I remember a girl in 7th grade that someone drove by and threw a brick at her face and it knocked her teeth out! I felt so sorry for her..she always tried to cover up her face.It wasn't her fault, poor girl.
    Its' alright...try not to feel bad,ok.Only thing that is really important is what you think about your own self anyway,right?
    <>
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I dont think anything about it. My uncle had to have two front teeth removed when he was young and it didnt have to do with anything other then he had weak teeth.

Answer by gemgem at 9:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Honestly, the first thing I would probably think is meth. But if you have dentures, I don't think it should even be an issue unless you choose to tell someone and by then they will know you.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my momma had hers taken out,sadly she had poor oral health,she was lazy and didn't take care of her teeth. My boys are being lazy and dont like to care for their teeth so I'm trying to figure out what will get them out of that lazy phase.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think OUCH! And then I think, I wonder how they are doing with dentures, because I know they can be uncomfortable. And that's probably the end of it. I don't think poorly of anyone because of something like that. You never know what they went through, and I myself have bad teeth due to health issues. So I pretty much always assume that's what it is, unless I know different. You shouldn't let people make you feel bad, or your perceptions of what they are thinking of you(I have an anxiety disorder, and most of my interactions with people are like this- I feel bad because I think they are thinking I am not the good person I know I am).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Honestly, emotionally it has been so hard, i know my teeth weren't the best anyway but it makes you feel so bad about yourself. I am trying to get a better outlook.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2011